I'm getting frustrated with EOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
thus far, I have used (all from BA) eucalyptus (cool cp), lemongrass (cool cp), and the scent is just NOT there! Cedarwood is faily ok, lavender is pretty weak. Before I sink more $$$, are there any, In Your experience, that do better?

Lavender, Cedarwood, Lemongrass, Patchouli, and Peppermint do okay for me. Although they are some of the ones that stick, they can morph & fade over time.

Well, as a newb, I've taken the amount recommended .5 oz PPO. I am now assuming that # is for fragrance oils and not EO?? Grrrr... I feel like I have wasted a lot! I want to keep with the integrity of my original goal, natural soaps, but I guess I need some guidance. I'm really disappointed with the eucalyptus...
So, I am apparently using only half what's recommended for EOs!!

Well, as a newb, I've taken the amount recommended .5 oz PPO. I am now assuming that # is for fragrance oils and not EO?? Grrrr... I feel like I have wasted a lot! I want to keep with the integrity of my original goal, natural soaps, but I guess I need some guidance. I'm really disappointed with the eucalyptus...
So, I am apparently using only half what's recommended for EOs!!
In my opinion and my customers opinion .5 oz ppo would not fly with fo either. I am not talking about using 6.8% for eo's such as spicy or know irritant eos. A few, such as Petitgrain, cinnamon, thyme I use around .5 ppo. Many fo's will give an IFRA usage rate.

My long-term strategy is to shift almost wholly to classic EO blends. I am slowly simplifying by using up my FOs. My normal usage is 5-7% for the total EO blend. I like the scents better, and am satisfied with how they hold up. This includes eucalyptus blends w/ mint and/or lavender, although honestly I prefer rosemary over eucalyptus (I have both). That's not because of fading, but more for my nose's subjective pleasure.

I am new to soap making, but have already decided that scents and colours are black magic arts. My children are refusing to be ritual sacrifices, so I am stumbling my way through that dimension of trying to make soap. Good luck, you are not alone.

Wow, YUP, I've simply just wasted them at this point:( I am glad, that in my frustration, I haven't used my favorites, deciding that they would be better used in a body butter or a roll on!! Sadly, I have a few batches that hardly smell like anything at all. Expensive mistakes!!

Some essential oils are too strong or irritating to be used in high amounts, for instance clove bud and cinnamon leaf. Be sure to check the IFRA maximum skin exposure levels. Most reputable suppliers have suggested levels for use. For citrus essential oils you might use 15x orange and 5x lemon. You can also anchor the scent of essential oils by combining them with litsea cubeba or bergamot essential oils.

Last edited:
I kind of answered this to you in another thread, but like most people, I've never been able to get most EO's to stick. Even with trying the anchoring methods lsg explained above. For me trying to anchor them with litsea and bergamot, just makes the soap eventually smell like litsea and bergamot. The initial EO scent fades.

I have had good luck with Lime EO, Bergamot, Lemongrass, Litsea, and that's about it. The rest seem to fade within 3 months or sooner.
I do have a lime bar I kept for myself from a couple years ago, and the scent is still there. It's not strong like it was, but I can still smell it.
I'd rather spend my money on FO's and not bother with fading expensive EO's anymore.

I too only use a few EO's. Patchouli, Lemongrass, Lavender, Eucalyptus and Rosemary for the most part. The rest are all FO's. Much better sticking power and customers prefer them for the most part.

I too only use a few EO's. Patchouli, Lemongrass, Lavender, Eucalyptus and Rosemary for the most part. The rest are all FO's. Much better sticking power and customers prefer them for the most part.
IF/when I use lavender it is also the EO version, as most lavender FO's (and also EO but not as bad) are migraine inducers for me. And I find even lavender doesn't stick more than 6-7 months, so I usually only make lavender soap for special requests.

I have actually found very few suppliers that list IFRA usage for essential oils, except for WSP. Many FO's today are listed with safe usage levels but manufacturers of fo's are not required to submit their fragrance oils the IFRA although I do think more and more suppliers, especially the one's that have fo's made are requesting the manufacturer supply IFRA usage rates. Since I am in the US I only purchase from US suppliers. This is an excellant book to have but pricey https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Oil-Safety-E-Book-Professionals-ebook/dp/B00I14TREW/ref=mt_kindle?_encoding=UTF8&me=&dpID=51RMcCOo%2B2L&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

I agree with jcandleattic, Lavender does not stick for me over 5-9 months so I make it in smaller batches

Last edited by a moderator:
I find that using the max based on the Brambleberry fragrance calculator helps, as does creating blends with good base, middle and top notes (or at least a good base). I only make one soap that's all lavender and it goes fast so I'm not sure if it fades after 6 months. But my Rosemary and Lavender 50/50 go-to basic mix sticks well - I use that on my long term cure castiles. I do notice that the scent on a 1 year bar isn't much until its in the shower and used a bit.

Cedarwood must be a good sticker because I used it at only .5 PPO and it still smells great. Yet another learning curve! I haven't tried rosemary yet, but I will. I will use 1 oz. PPO next and see how that works.
THANK YOU!!

I have had good luck with Lime EO, Bergamot, Lemongrass, Litsea, and that's about it. The rest seem to fade within 3 months or sooner.
I do have a lime bar I kept for myself from a couple years ago, and the scent is still there. It's not strong like it was, but I can still smell it.
I'd rather spend my money on FO's and not bother with fading expensive EO's anymore.
I am not familiar with Listea or Bergamot, but I will definitely look into them, as I would really like to do some more organics.

I am not familiar with Listea or Bergamot, but I will definitely look into them, as I would really like to do some more organics.

Be careful with bergamot and certain other citruses, as they are phototoxic. If you stick with folded citruses and bergaptene-free bergamot, you'll be fine, though (they have the phototoxic elements removed from them).

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back