I'm getting frustrated with EOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with Listea or Bergamot, but I will definitely look into them, as I would really like to do some more organics.
They are among the more common EO's and relatively inexpensive. People say they work well for anchoring citrus scents, (because they are both very citrus-y scents) however, I don't find that to be true. My soaps will eventually just end up smelling like the Litsea or Bergamot.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_3186.PNG
Interesting that it can be rented!!

Not that this helps in this case, but to find the best prices for used books, BookFinder.com is an excellent resource. I find it works best to enter the ISBN number to narrow down the search to the specific book one is seeking. Always read the descriptions, of course, so you make an informed choice before purchase. I, for one, will not buy a book with loose binding and taped together because it just isn't worth it to me.

Ok, what is a lime beer bar?? My curiosity is piqued!!
LOL Nothing too fancy!! Just a soap made with beer as the liquid and scented with Lime EO. My beer of choice for this particular bar (and my main beer soap that sells out every time I make it) is Bud Light Lime - hence the Lime EO

thus far, I have used (all from BA) eucalyptus (cool cp), lemongrass (cool cp), and the scent is just NOT there! Cedarwood is faily ok, lavender is pretty weak. Before I sink more $$$, are there any, In Your experience, that do better?

When it comes to soapmaking, I'm a total newb, but I do know a bit about perfumery.

Please don't take this the wrong way, which is real easy to do on the internet, but perfumery is truly an art and a science. There is a reason why the perfume business is highly classified and proprietary. The greats never give away their secrets. But it's an incredibly complex art of creating scents, fixing them, seeing that they are durable, and that they don't irritate or degrade in peculiar ways.

There's no way that you and I can replicate that in a home kitchen or workshop. Just have fun. It's a hobby.

thus far, I have used (all from BA) eucalyptus (cool cp), lemongrass (cool cp), and the scent is just NOT there! Cedarwood is faily ok, lavender is pretty weak. Before I sink more $$$, are there any, In Your experience, that do better?

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

"Discussions among soap makers often touch on whether or not EO constituents saponify. Is there a simple answer to this?

Kevin
There is an answer, but it is not simple. Essential oils are complex mixtures of dozens of chemical compounds. A given essential oil may contain some compounds that react with alkali, and others that do not. Lavender oil, for example, contains about 42% linalool (which does not react) and 22% linalyl acetate (which does). In fact, when linalyl acetate reacts with alkali, one of the products is linalool. Thus the scent of a CP soap made with lavender oil will smell less of linalyl acetate and more of linalool than the original EO."

Link:
http://roberttisserand.com/2011/06/essential-oils-in-soap-interview-with-kevin-dunn/

A few years ago I got interested in perfumery. Bought a bunch of EOs, schooled myself a bit, and experimented. As I said, I ended up with pleasant smelling bathroom cleaners. Not perfumes. I had fun and learned stuff, but it was humbling, and I finally admitted that I would never be able to replicate a great perfume, or even come close.

Again, I do not want to sound negative, but adding EOs to soapmaking is taking the process to an entirely different place.

In the link I supplied this might help:

"The only way to predict which essential oils will react with alkali is to examine the list of components and note which of them are reactive. Such compounds generally consist of esters, phenols, and acids. There is a practical way, however, for a soapmaker to evaluate essential oil reactivity. Add a few drops of essential oil to 1 mL of the lye solution used for soapmaking (typically 25%-50% NaOH). Sometimes a reaction will be visible and sometimes not. In either case, wait a day or two and then compare the scent of the alkaline EO to that of the original. In some cases, there will be no difference in scent. In those cases where the scent changes, the alkaline scent might not be bad, just different from the original."

1 ml is too small to weigh; you'd guesstimate with a dropper.

Latest posts

Back