I'm definitely sold on a long cure!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am using a bar of soap that I originally made 05/16/15, didn't like and rebatched on 06/10/15. It is a tallow based soap. I didn't like it because I smelled the tallow. I had to add some fragrance to it.

After an eight month cure, what little fragrance was in it is completely gone. (And since I used a Hobbby Lobby FO, the emphasis is on "little" fragrance.) So is any residual tallow smell. I noticed immediately when I used it how the lather was soft and creamy. There aren't a lot of bubbles with it, though. But that's OK with me, I prefer a creamy lather over a bubbly lather.

The next "old" soap I have to check on is my 100% olive oil soap. Although, I did add clay to it, so I guess it's not really 100% olive oil anymore, is it? I made that 8/4/15 (and had to rebatch 8/12/15 because of my awesome math skills!). I tried a bar after curing about 6 weeks just "because" and I haven't touched one since. I think that will be tomorrow's shower soap.

I am finally learning patience for a long cure. When I started with HP I bought into the hype that it was immediately usable. Now I try and shelf them and forget about them, especially helpful with CP.

I'm trying my patience and hoping to adapt the long wait for myself. My first ever soap shows a huge difference between July and now

I have a few bars of lavender with kaolin, they are like a year old, the best soap ever. Descended, it seems, whatever scent was there is gone:)) I love the soap, so does my hubby

Latest posts

Back