I'm confused

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opalgirl

Reaction score
As stated by a previous post I want to make more advanced scrubs. I have been using Phenonip in my body butter but would like to go to Optiphen Plus for scrubs and butters. I was just reading that Optiphen and any paraben free preservatives are not suitable for anhydrous products. (I just ordered Optiphen Plus) Aren't body butters and scrubs anhydrous? I don't not add any water or liquid soap to either product. I've been studying recipes and many say "choice of preservative" I would prefer paraben free but if the paraben free preservatives are not the right one then I don't want to risk it not "preserving the product".

I really could use some advice.

Thanks,
Opalgirl

yes scrubs are anhydrous - but the environment in which they are used isn't - and water WILL be introduced. since sugar and water together totally promote life, you need to preserve.

As far as I have been able to figure out from reading various sites, (lotioncrafter, the herbarie are two) optiphen is good for anhydrous products, but optiphen plus is not suitable for anhydrous products. I would think because the + part is sorbic acid, which is a water soluble preservative.

However,on the swiftcraftymonkey site, she says optiphen is water soluble and not suitable for anhydrous products. And read her comments below the post as to her reasons.

I realize that does not answer anything--it is a question I keep asking myself as well.

YOU may not add water to the scrub, but your customer will with wet hands or simply steam from the bathroom.

carebear said:
yes scrubs are anhydrous - but the environment in which they are used isn't - and water WILL be introduced. since sugar and water together totally promote life, you need to preserve.

I believe opalgirl is not asking if she should preserve, but what product she should preserve with.

This is a great question and I don't know the answer, but if you're unable to get a definitive answer here, I'd recommend writing to Susan at the swiftcraftymonkey site and presenting her with the conflicting data. Maybe she can shed some light onto her views and give you an in-depth explanation.

she has fabulous information on her blog site where you can find the answer yourself. http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/
there is even a comparison chart on her blog site to simplify things, but you will have to hunt it down - I don't have time right now to find it.

SudsyKat said:
This is a great question and I don't know the answer, but if you're unable to get a definitive answer here, I'd recommend writing to Susan at the swiftcraftymonkey site and presenting her with the conflicting data. Maybe she can shed some light onto her views and give you an in-depth explanation.

The question has been asked on her site and her answer is in the comments section below the post on opitiphen.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/preservatives-optiphen.html

She is saying that though the manufacturer says that optiphen can be used for anhydrous products, she can not recommend it, without having more examples of its use.

optiphen plus can not be used for anhydrous products.

ToniD said:
SudsyKat said:

The question has been asked on her site and her answer is in the comments section below the post on opitiphen.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/preservatives-optiphen.html

She is saying that though the manufacturer says that optiphen can be used for anhydrous products, she can not recommend it, without having more examples of its use.

optiphen plus can not be used for anhydrous products.

So, what you are saying is that the chemists that invented optiphen do not know as much about optiphen as swiftmonkey does? Interesting.

dagmar88 said:
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/reference/tech_data_optiphen_plus.pdf

Has anyone even bothered to look at these data sheets?

This preservative is effective as a stand-alone system and
functions well with other preservatives. Optiphen™ Plus
has an extensive range of applications in aqueous
and emulsion-type personal care formulations and is
compatible with most raw materials in the personal
care industry.

Optiphen and Opthiphen Plus are two different products.

The first can be used in anhydrous products, where Opthiphen Plus has better solubility in water/aqueous formulations.

Optiphen™
ISP's first globally approved preservative in the Optiphen family developed as an alternative for personal care formulations requiring a paraben and formaldehyde-free preservative system. Optiphen consists of Phenoxyethanol in an emollient base of Caprylyl Glycol. The combination of these ingredients provides optimized protection against microbial growth while imparting exceptional feel to the finished product.

Optiphen can be used in a wide variety of personal care products including aqueous and anhydrous systems and emulsions. It can be added directly to the formulation during pre- or post-emulsification at or below 60°C (140°F). There are no pH restrictions and it is compatible with most raw materials.

Recommended use levels: 0.5 - 1.5%.
Appearance: Clear liquid
INCI: Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol

http://www.lotioncrafter.com/optiphen.html

If there's any more confusion, you could contact lotioncrafter; they are supposed to be real helpful.

With all due respect to swiftcraftymonkey (I've learned a lot from her blog), if the manufacturer says it is okay in anhydrous products, I would use it in anhydrous products. She's knows boatloads about chemistry, but I'm sure the company has tested it in anhydrous applications, or they would not say it is fine for them.

kelleyaynn said:
With all due respect to swiftcraftymonkey (I've learned a lot from her blog), if the manufacturer says it is okay in anhydrous products, I would use it in anhydrous products. She's knows boatloads about chemistry, but I'm sure the company has tested it in anhydrous applications, or they would not say it is fine for them.

Swiftcraftmonkey writes about Optiphen, not Optiphen Plus, the preservative of choice by TS.

Optiphen = suitable for anhydrous products, Optiphen Plus is not.

dag,

Thank you for ding the fact checking on that one. I had neither the time nor the ambition to research that yesterday. I had too many of my own irons in the fire.

Latest posts

Back