I'm Beginning to Resent Detergent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be a weirdo. My soap (doesn't matter what kind, super long cure, ect.) always makes my hands and skin feel not as nice as a commercial detergent. I still love using my soap (I wont give it up!) but I know that my skin was a little happier using detergents on my body. I'm not saying my skin is bad now or anything. It would just feel more comfortable after using a "moisturizing body wash" when I did use them vs. my bar soaps now. I've started to use lotion after soaping up now and its better.

You may need to make something like these, George. Easy to keep at work!

http://auntieclaras.com/shop/travel-soap-handcrafted-soap-pastilles/

or

Screen Shot 2015-11-28 at 8.15.09 PM.jpg

The mini-bars that Auntie Clara sells seem to be more what I'd prefer compared with paper-thin soap wafers. I pare off thin slices of soap when cleaning up my soap bars and have tried a few for hand washing. I didn't like how the wafer tends to suction down to my palm when it got wet. Maybe I need to just be patient and wash my hands long enough for the wafer to dissolve, but I just couldn't get into it.

I wonder what technique AC uses to cut her pastilles -- thin sheet of soap and a tiny cookie cutter? There is a closeup shot of the mint green leaves and they show a slightly lumpy-bumpy surface texture that I associate with soap that's been wire cut. Maybe she's splitting down a thicker slab into the sheets.

Last edited:
I wonder what technique AC uses to cut her pastilles -- thin sheet of soap and a tiny cookie cutter? There is a closeup shot of the mint green leaves and they show a slightly lumpy-bumpy surface texture that I associate with soap that's been wire cut. Maybe she's splitting down a thicker slab into the sheets.

I was thinking a thin sheet of soap and a small cookie cutter but cutting down a bar would work, too, if the soap is fairly fresh and still soft enough to cut thinly like that.

M&P would be perfect for something like that, I would think. Just melt down as much or as little as you want, colour & scent, pour, cut. I've never used M&P but I might be tempted for something like this.

"...cutting down a bar would work, too, if the soap is fairly fresh and still soft enough to cut thinly like that...."

Actually I was thinking more like splitting a whole loaf into sheets, but a bar would work too for a small amount of pastilles. Yes it would have to be done when the soap was softer. Faith Gratz Oriold (I think) does this to make some of her "rimmed" soaps, if my fairly hazy recollection is correct. She also uses M&P for some, but she uses CP soap too.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I hadn't thought much about travel soap until now, but it made me remember that I have "soap bits" for making a mild baby wipe solution from when my youngest was in cloth diapers and we used reusable wipes and solution. I got a small box with my choice of scented soap bits from one of the companies.
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1450029182.937741.jpg
These would actually work well for travel, and would be fairly easy to make from my own soap.

Traderbren, I love that! It's so organized and looks perfect for taking on the go and even having multiple scents to choose from lol.

Latest posts

Back