I'm back

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penelopejane

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been out of action for a while and still have another operation coming up in a couple of weeks.
It's only a kidney stone (gosh it was painful despite the fact it was only 2.6mm) but I also have splenic artery aneurysm stent that is blocked and I have another splenic artery aneurysm in a tricky position that has to be dealt with. Ho hum.
I am desperately making some soap for Christmas before I have to go into hospital again - 2 weeks!

Hi everyone,
I have been out of action for a while and still have another operation coming up in a couple of weeks.
It's only a kidney stone (gosh it was painful despite the fact it was only 2.6mm) but I also have splenic artery aneurysm stent that is blocked and I have another splenic artery aneurysm in a tricky position that has to be dealt with. Ho hum.
I am desperately making some soap for Christmas before I have to go into hospital again - 2 weeks!
I'm so sorry to hear of your medical troubles, prayerfully hoping all goes well. I'm up for hip revision surgery on my prosthetic hip in about 4.5 months so I feel for ya. I need two knee replacements but won't undergo those until I'm older. Happy soaping and wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm so sorry to hear of your medical troubles, prayerfully hoping all goes well. I'm up for hip revision surgery on my prosthetic hip in about 4.5 months so I feel for ya. I need two knee replacements but won't undergo those until I'm older. Happy soaping and wishing you a speedy recovery.
Very best of luck with your hip and knees. When I was in hospital I was chatting to a woman who had one knee done at 55 and the other one just done last week and she's now 65. She says the first was a breeze compared to this one. Her doctor told her the younger you are the quicker you heal. I know they like you to wait, though.
Thinking of you. :)

Very best of luck with your hip and knees. When I was in hospital I was chatting to a woman who had one knee done at 55 and the other one just done last week and she's now 65. She says the first was a breeze compared to this one. Her doctor told her the younger you are the quicker you heal. I know they like you to wait, though.
Thinking of you. :)

Thanks so much. Any time I feel the pain is too great I always think of those who are worse off than myself. Your medical issues are a bit scary to me and prayers will go up for ya.

Yes, where the knees are concerned they do advise to wait. I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to educating myself on anything, from soaping to surgery. I was watching a video of an actual back surgery b/4 I went in for a spinal fusion when my husband came over to ask me something. He saw what I was watching on the computer and made a U-turn and went outside without saying another word; the video was at a bloody part and he can't stand blood :eek:. Poor fellow. The knees require much more intricate cuts (well they did 10 years ago when I got the total hip replacement) so my hip/knee surgeon 'advised' me to wait, but left it up to me.

Doing the research, I decided I do not want to out-live my knee replacement; a 2nd total hip replacement is relatively a breeze to perform vs a 2nd knee replacement. I believe that's why we are all advised to do, as he said, all I can (pain killers to injections) to put it off. I am too sensitive to any pain killers, nor do I want the chemicals in my body so I just push through; THANKFULLY God has blessed me with a very high pain threshold.....the only thing that keeps me going. One of my sisters is hypersensitive to pain meds as well so, likely, it's genetic.

After back surgery, I took one muscle relaxer and half of the Oxycodone or OxyContin (can't remember which it was) and within 30 minutes my husband was almost falling on the floor laughing at me and trying to keep me talking; I'm cracking up just reminiscing:rolling:.

I didn't take anything after hip surgery; at each shift change, the nurses kept coming in my room to tell me I can't overdose on the morphine so I needed to push the button and use it. With several medical issues, I thank God I can deal with pain.....to a degree. When I go in for my presurgery I'm going to check into injections--don't want to but the knee pain has reached a breaking point in me. I'm also blessed also with speedy bounce-back; nurse got onto me when she found me walking the halls by myself hours after hip surgery; I was approved to do so when the physical therapist saw I could get out of my leg contraption and out of bed w/o a nurse's assistance. I had to pee so badly after the catheter was removed that I just couldn't wait any longer, so I did it myself. She finally arrived to help when I was exiting the bathroom. The therapist just told me not to walk too far, of course, the nurse called him to make sure I was telling her the truth. At almost 60, I'll probably have it done in a few years; my back is the next thing I need to deal with b/4 the knees; ain't getting old a blast?! My profession and having cartilage as my grandma is at fault.

I need to learn young folk's texting shorthand to cut down on lengthy posts....sorry.

"....It's only a kidney stone (gosh it was painful despite the fact it was only 2.6mm)..."

I've had brothers who dealt with kidney stones and the horror stories they've told, oh, and a sister also. Our youngest passed one in the shower and he said he nearly fainted due to the pain; he found the small little fellow and took it to the doctor for show-and-tell. He couldn't believe how small it was to have caused such great pain. He's passed another since then and I feel awful for him; knock on wood, he's not had any further problems in a few years.

"...I also have splenic artery aneurysm stent that is blocked and I have another splenic artery aneurysm in a tricky position that has to be dealt with...."

My husband's dad and ALL his 7 siblings have had at least one and some have had multiple aneurysms. We're both thankful that at 65 he still hasn't had one; they thought he had a tiny one but with further tests, nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck Penelope. At least soaping will keep your mind off of the pending surgery. feel better.gif

At least your soaping will make you happy
Thank you so much everyone for welcoming me back.
I have been soaping madly (because it is raining here and there is nothing else to do!) and DH is happy (he's been a bit panicked about the surgeries to see me happy so he hasn't criticised about prioritising soap over housework! :computerbath:

Thank you so much everyone for welcoming me back.
I have been soaping madly (because it is raining here and there is nothing else to do!) and DH is happy (he's been a bit panicked about the surgeries to see me happy so he hasn't criticised about prioritising soap over housework! :computerbath:

He can always do the housework and make you happy :D.

What a wonderful hubby you have. He must be related to mine because mine gets stressed b/4 my surgeries too. He's also is very supportive of my love for all things soap. Last October, it was so funny, I was compiling a wish list of soaping 'wants' and, at that very moment, he asked me, "So have you thought about what you want for Christmas?" I looked up from my computer and as soon as my eyes met his he said, "Don't tell me, soaping oils." I cracked up and told him what I was doing; with that, he said, "Place the order." He didn't even ask me how much, lol.

Back