I'm back with a question about calc. total weight of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessMommy

Reaction score
I'm back from visiting family and travel and ready to start a new batch or two. I was able to buy some new molds and they say they hold 64oz. When making a new recipe do I calculate the oil, lye and water for a total amount, or just the oil & water?

Thanks!

Find out what they mean by "holds 64 oz." If that means holds a batch made with 64 oz of oil then use that. If they really mean 64 oz. of soap, you calculate by adding all the oils plus the lye plus some fraction of the water, perhaps 50%, to account for the amount of water lost to evaporation as the bars cure.

I'm pretty sure it means 64 oz of soap because it also broke down how much each bar would weigh. When I added that together they came out the same.

Thanks for the quick help.

Can you let us know the internal dimensions of your mould?

I'm from Australia so mm would be great, if not someone else will have to do it.

I'll then show you how to calculate the capacity of the mould.

Formula for figuring how much oils to use in your mold;

Length X's Width X's Height of Pour. That number X's .40 That number is how many ounces of oils needed to fill to that depth.

Example;

12L X 3.5W X 2.5D = 105 X .40 = 42 ounces of oils.

Paul :wink:

thanks! That calc. worked like a charm, Paul. I've got another batch cooking in the cooler. :D

Cathy - I wanted to say thanks and to tell you I love your website. Its awesome. In fact, the latest batch I made I made plain white in hopes of doing some of your fancy decorations.

PrincessMommy said:
Cathy - I wanted to say thanks and to tell you I love your website. Its awesome. In fact, the latest batch I made I made plain white in hopes of doing some of your fancy decorations.

Thanks! And have fun....it's my favorite part....planning the designs...and the scent....ok..the color, oils....everything!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back