IFRA usage rate for essential oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygoth

Reaction score
Hi!
I've recently come up with a recipe that I would really like to be able to make regular batches of soap with, and the essential oil i want to use for this soap is Mystic Moment's Orange 5 Fold.
Eventually I want to be able to apply for a CPSR and get a small soapmaking business started up so I'd really like to get into the habit of following IFRA restrictions on fragrances and such, but I've looked and looked and I can't find ANYTHING on MM's site, on the product's MSDS and IFRA documentation at all about the recommended usage %.
IFRA certificates usually have a section on permitted usage % rate in different kinds of cosmetic products but I can't find one anywhere for this essential oil!
I feel like I must be missing something. Could anyone help?

Hi!
I've recently come up with a recipe that I would really like to be able to make regular batches of soap with, and the essential oil i want to use for this soap is Mystic Moment's Orange 5 Fold.
Eventually I want to be able to apply for a CPSR and get a small soapmaking business started up so I'd really like to get into the habit of following IFRA restrictions on fragrances and such, but I've looked and looked and I can't find ANYTHING on MM's site, on the product's MSDS and IFRA documentation at all about the recommended usage %.
IFRA certificates usually have a section on permitted usage % rate in different kinds of cosmetic products but I can't find one anywhere for this essential oil!
Hi. On the mystic moments web site about 3/4 of the way down on the orange 5 fold page there is a link to "documents". The COA is in the documents link. Orange 5 Fold Essential Oil

@bwtapestry thanks for your reply :)
I did take a look on there and couldn't find a section with any info on usage rates in cosmetics, I don't know if I'm just scrolling past something on the document but I've looked several times at the COA and I can't find it 😅

I'm not in the UK, but I think I've seen that 3% is the max usage rate for any fragrance, assuming IFRA usage rates are that high. Again, I could be wrong as I'm in the US and just going from something I 'think' I've seen before.

I'm not in the UK, but I think I've seen that 3% is the max usage rate for any fragrance, assuming IFRA usage rates are that high. Again, I could be wrong as I'm in the US and just going from something I 'think' I've seen before.
Yea, maximum usage rate is 3%, the exception being if the supplier specifies a lower safe %, then that's the maximum. So that's what I was trying to check for, to make sure that using the standard 3% is safe.

@bwtapestry thanks for your reply :)
I did take a look on there and couldn't find a section with any info on usage rates in cosmetics, I don't know if I'm just scrolling past something on the document but I've looked several times at the COA and I can't find it 😅
Yes. You are correct. My mistake. Just checked all the attachments and they are for individual batch numbers however no IFRA statements anywhere. Email the vendor and ask if they have IFRA documentation or usage recommendations

Yes. You are correct. My mistake. Just checked all the attachments and they are for individual batch numbers however no IFRA statements anywhere. Email the vendor and ask if they have IFRA documentation or usage recommendations
No worries! :) I honestly just wanted to check to make sure I wasn't missing anything super obvious before I emailed them to ask, haha
For the time being in the batch I did last night I used 2% just to be on the safe side but I'll email them and see what they get back to me with. It's a very potent EO anyway so using a little less isn't a huge deal!

the essential oil i want to use for this soap is Mystic Moment's Orange 5 Fold.
Citrus oils are known for dissipating rather quickly. Typiclly Litsea Cubeba is recommended to help with that. As delightful as that EO smells, it's not like to last in CP/HP unless you find a way to "anchor" it.

Take a look at EOCalc's blends that feature Folded Orange. The SHEER blend looks promising... I'd nix the tea tree though... just my personal take on that blend. Also, you can learn more about the safety rate of each oil in the blend by clicking on "View Blend" then scrolling down to "Usage Rates"

I'd also take a look at Petitgrain EO (aka "orange leaf") and Red Mandarin EO.

Last edited:
Citrus oils are known for dissipating rather quickly. Typiclly Litsea Cubeba is recommended to help with that. As delightful as that EO smells, it's not like to last in CP/HP unless you find a way to "anchor" it.

Take a look at EOCalc's blends that feature Folded Orange. The SHEER blend looks promising... I'd nix the tea tree though... just my personal take on that blend. Also, you can learn more about the safety rate of each oil in the blend by clicking on "View Blend" then scrolling down to "Usage Rates"
Does Litsea Cubeba still have that same sweet citrus scent? I'd thought about using some of that but I'd then have to order in more EOs, for this one I was just using up what I had. I did use a little kaolin clay which I mixed in with the EO before I added it to the batter, I've heard that's supposed to anchor scents but I haven't actually seen any evidence of it working. I guess I'll see how it turns out as it cures.
I've also been thinking about changing the scent of this batch I'm doing to a blend of Sandalwood and Orange EOs, so maybe a 50/50 sandalwood and litsea cubeba blend could work nicely?

Although the Sheer blend does sound really nice, I think that would come up as too many additives in a CPSR, along with my colourants and other additives 😅

Does Litsea Cubeba still have that same sweet citrus scent?
This is just my take on it... it's more "bitter lemon" to my nose.
for this one I was just using up what I had.
:thumbs: Ah hah. So, in that case, you will experience just what I (and others) have experienced using single note citrus EOs. It's a good thing to know.
I did use a little kaolin clay which I mixed in with the EO before I added it to the batter,
:thumbs: Good thinking!
maybe a 50/50 sandalwood and litsea cubeba blend could work nicely?
Maybe, but not likely. :oops: They are from different fragrance families, i.e., Woody vs. Citrus. That being said, it might be just fine.

BTW, because Sandalwood EO is so pricey, I use the FO + EOs to create blends. Works for me. 😁

Ah hah. So, in that case, you will experience just what I (and others) have experienced using single note citrus EOs. It's a good thing to know.
I have heard that citrus EOs are notorious for fading faster than other EOs, I just didn't realise quite how bad it was, lol.
Good thinking!
Hopefully the kaolin clay should be enough to anchor it, but only time will tell. I unmolded it today and it smells amazing, I'll be sad if it fades to nothing.
Maybe, but not likely. :oops: They are from different fragrance families, i.e., Woody vs. Citrus. That being said, it might be just fine
Hm, I think I misunderstood what you meant. So I should use litsea cubeba WITH my orange EO, not just INSTEAD of it? So I could either do a blend of LC + Folded Orange or Sandalwood + LC + Folded orange? I think I get what you mean now haha
BTW, because Sandalwood EO is so pricey, I use the FO + EOs to create blends. Works for me.
Yea, in general FOs are better value for money, using a blend of FOs or FOs and EOs incurs extra charges on a CPSR though. I might look into how much the charge is, but in general using pure EO blends makes things simpler when it comes to getting everything checked out. It might turn out cheaper in the long term to just shell out on the admin fee though.

This is the soap, in case anyone's curious :)
soap.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I might look into how much the charge is, but in general using pure EO blends makes things simpler when it comes to getting everything checked out.
I know nothing about EU requirements, so I'll leave it to others who are more knowledgeable to respond. 😁

This is the soap, in case anyone's curious
Just an FYI - Rather than introducing a whole new topic here, it's best to post pics of your soaps in the Photo Gallery where you will reach a wider audience and get more responses. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more.

Hi!

The d-Limonene content is very high according to what I am reading on the documents for the EO your are asking about. IFRA states that the Limonenes (d-, l-, & dl-) are potent sensitizers when oxidized, which leads me to believe that the IFRA maximum usage rate is going to be very low.

I looked on the Mystic Moments website and New Directions, because they are 2 of the 3 authorized sellers (World of Moulds being the 3rd, but could not find a stand alone website for them). Neither of the 2 sites indicate the maximum usage rate (that I could find). I hope MM gets back to you with actual documentation. If not, I doubt it will pass muster for a CPSR.

The lengthy IFRA Standards document is so very long and I find it difficult to read through and fully understand how to apply to actual usage rates. Unless there is an actual IFRA certificate supplied by the manufacturer or vendor, I would not purchase a particular fragrance (if I knew I had to comply to IFRA standards).

Just an FYI - Rather than introducing a whole new topic here, it's best to post pics of your soaps in the Photo Gallery where you will reach a wider audience and get more responses. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more.
Thank you so much for all your help! I'm still getting to grips with the site, it's been a long time since I've used a forum for anything haha
I looked on the Mystic Moments website and New Directions, because they are 2 of the 3 authorized sellers (World of Moulds being the 3rd, but could not find a stand alone website for them). Neither of the 2 sites indicate the maximum usage rate (that I could find). I hope MM gets back to you with actual documentation. If not, I doubt it will pass muster for a CPSR.
Yea, I'm gonna send them an email and see if they get back to me with anything useful, other than that I'll just bump down the usage rate super low and make sure the bars are safe before I just use them as gifts. I brought the bottle of it that I have back when I was very new to soapmaking and didn't understand all the usage rates, allergens and IFRA stuff, so I might look into getting a 5 or 10 fold EO from an actual soap supplier for the purposes of making something to pass a CPSR.
The lengthy IFRA Standards document is so very long and I find it difficult to read through and fully understand how to apply to actual usage rates. Unless there is an actual IFRA certificate supplied by the manufacturer or vendor, I would not purchase a particular fragrance (if I knew I had to comply to IFRA standards).
The IFRA docs can sometimes definitely be really hard to parse through to find the actual bit of information that you want. I'll definitely look into changing suppliers for the future to avoid any issues that could come up.

Back