IFRA Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gren

Reaction score
So I've been looking at some of the IFRA certificates for random frangrances at different suppliers and am curious as to why the maximum usage rate of Category 9 (Bath products, bar soap, shampoo, etc) is often lower than Category 7 (intimate feminine wipes, etc.) or Category 5 (facial products). Seems that a fragrance oil that would either be rinsed off almost immediately or diluted in a large amount of bath water could be used at a higher percentage than one being applied to your face or lady bits that may not be rinsed off.

For instance, an NG fragrance has no restriction on Category 7 but 5% max usage for Category 9. A Soapalooza fragrance has about 16% for Category 5 and 5% for Category 9. This just doesn't make sense to me, but then again I'm not anything close to a chemist so maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

I have seen so many discrepancies that I very seldom check the IFRA, which is really self regulating, and use my normal percentages that I have always used. I am always careful with mints and spices such as cinnamon.

Latest posts

Back