IFRA Help with Essential Oil

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

cgentry1972

Reaction score
I sometimes use the EO Calculator but it doesn't have a Tangerine Essential Oil listed. The IFRA from where I purchased the Tangerine Essential states for Category 9 that the maximum usage rate is 100%. Now this isn't the first time that a fragrance oil or essential oil has stated 100%. My question is since there is no maximum how do I know how much of it I can use? Maybe I'm over thinking this. The IFRA is stating that no matter how much I use it's safe on skin???? I'm going with 6% as this is my average I've used in the past.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
IFRA guidelines are only concerned with human and environmental safety.

I do not use more fragrance than the IFRA guideline, because I want my soap and other products to be safe for people to use. On the other hand, I may use less fragrance than what the IFRA guideline says, because I also want the product to perform well.

There is a practical limit for how much scent you can add to soap, lotion, lip balm, etc. and not run into problems. Taking soap as an example, too much fragrance can weep out of bar soap, cause the soap to be soft, possibly reduce the lather or longevity, or create other undesirable problems. Too much scent in something like lip balm or lotion can be offensively strong.

I normally scent my soap at 5% to 6% based on the total weight of fats, assuming the IFRA guideline allows.

My rule of thumb is to not use fragrances if the IFRA guideline is below 6% for Category 4 (lotions) and Category 9 (soap). Just my preference.

More info: Table of contents | Soapy Stuff

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Wholesale Supplies Plus has IFRA suggested usage rates listed for their tangerine EO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
While 5-6% Tangerine EO is safe for soap, the challenge, as I see it, is getting it to stick. Citrus EOs are known to fade. Some options for getting EOs to stick in soap: use a dry material like White Kaolin Clay; use lard; combine with a compatible FO; sub Tangerine for Sweet Orange EO in a favorite blend. I like Aroma Web for blends and more info:

Tangerine Essential Oil

Latest posts