IFRA Help with Essential Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgentry1972

Reaction score
I sometimes use the EO Calculator but it doesn't have a Tangerine Essential Oil listed. The IFRA from where I purchased the Tangerine Essential states for Category 9 that the maximum usage rate is 100%. Now this isn't the first time that a fragrance oil or essential oil has stated 100%. My question is since there is no maximum how do I know how much of it I can use? Maybe I'm over thinking this. The IFRA is stating that no matter how much I use it's safe on skin???? I'm going with 6% as this is my average I've used in the past.

IFRA guidelines are only concerned with human and environmental safety.

I do not use more fragrance than the IFRA guideline, because I want my soap and other products to be safe for people to use. On the other hand, I may use less fragrance than what the IFRA guideline says, because I also want the product to perform well.

There is a practical limit for how much scent you can add to soap, lotion, lip balm, etc. and not run into problems. Taking soap as an example, too much fragrance can weep out of bar soap, cause the soap to be soft, possibly reduce the lather or longevity, or create other undesirable problems. Too much scent in something like lip balm or lotion can be offensively strong.

I normally scent my soap at 5% to 6% based on the total weight of fats, assuming the IFRA guideline allows.

My rule of thumb is to not use fragrances if the IFRA guideline is below 6% for Category 4 (lotions) and Category 9 (soap). Just my preference.

More info: Table of contents | Soapy Stuff

While 5-6% Tangerine EO is safe for soap, the challenge, as I see it, is getting it to stick. Citrus EOs are known to fade. Some options for getting EOs to stick in soap: use a dry material like White Kaolin Clay; use lard; combine with a compatible FO; sub Tangerine for Sweet Orange EO in a favorite blend. I like Aroma Web for blends and more info:

Tangerine Essential Oil

I know this is an old post, but i just wanted to ask a quick question along the same lines as the first post.

The maximum usage rate for any essential oil in the UK is 3% in soap. I have an essential that says the maximum safety usage rate is 0.13%, so im just wondering if that means its per pound of oil or per batch/loaf of soap? Im insure, and nobody ive asked has been able to help so far.

I know this is an old post, but i just wanted to ask a quick question along the same lines as the first post.

The maximum usage rate for any essential oil in the UK is 3% in soap. I have an essential that says the maximum safety usage rate is 0.13%, so im just wondering if that means its per pound of oil or per batch/loaf of soap? Im insure, and nobody ive asked has been able to help so far.
The safe usage percentage is multiplied by the total weight of oils.

The safe usage percentage is multiplied by the total weight of oils.
Forgive me for being an idiot, but im not still not getting it! My essential oil maximum is 0.13% and my total oils is 794g.

I assumed that 0.13% (1.3g) was the most i could use in a loaf mould.

And how does the maximum usage rate work if i do a half batch, is it the same? This has been confusing me for months, and im terrible with calculations!

Yes, you calculated it correctly.

Amount of oils x safe usage percentage = amount of EO for that size of batch.
794g x .13% = 1.3g for that batch.

So the safe percentage is always the same; the amount of oils will change as you increase or decrease the batch, and that will increase or decrease the amount of EO that you use. HTH

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back