IFRA 5a and 5c

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone explain the difference between 5A and 5C for me? I know one says lotion and one says cream. I'm making lotion sticks, which for me I use mostly for hands but do occasionally use on my arms, legs, heels, etc. I would do the same thing if it were cream. If I were buying lotion in a bottle from the store, it's a little more fluid than what a cream might be, so my brain says lotion is more absorbent (if that's the justification). Just for an example, I'm looking at one that says 6.03% for lotion and 1.12% for cream. Which rate should I use for lotion sticks? Thanks

I will tell you that 6.03% is way too strong for any lotion. Lotions and creams will get stronger as they sit. I would go with 1% to start and let it sit 24 hrs making sure it does not separate or become too strong. For your anhydrous lotion sticks, you might want to go a bit stronger. I usually went up to 2% in my solid lotions. Lotion is a leave-on the same as cream so the percentage difference does not make much sense to me.

Category 5A is for "Products applied to the body using the hands (palms), primarily leave-on (Body lotion)"
Category 5 C is for "Products applied to the hands using the hands (palms), primarily leave-on (Hand cream)"

The difference is the area or body part to where the product is applied and not the consistency of the product (lotion or cream). Presumably the 5C category is lower because there is more risk of consumption of the fragrance when it is all over your hands rather than just a small amount remaining on your palms after application of your body lotion.

These amounts are the maximum limits and not necessarily what is recommended. I would start at around 0.5 to 1 % and go up or down from there and because you are applying this to your hands I would follow the lower level recommended in Category 5C.

Latest posts

Back