If oils not found on soap calculator ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering this the other day when I was looking for "cobnut oil".

If you want to use a fat that is not listed in your soap recipe c@lculator, you'll have to find the saponification value for that fat. If you will tell us the fat you are looking for, then often someone here can help. If not, you'll have to search the scientific literature for the information. But ask here first.

Once you know the sap value of your "mystery" fat, you can look at the fats in your soap c@lc and find one in the calc that has a similar sap value. Enter the weight of your mystery fat as if it is that known fat. That tricks the calc into calculating the correct lye weight.

I have recipe i want use some oils didn't find on soap calculator.
How i calculate oil saponification ?
All answers so far are right on, of course.
Once you have the SAP value, I believe the soapmakingfriend calculator allows you to manually enter and save a new oil. You can also head over to their forum and request that they add the oil.
I have added oils to soapmakingfriend.com and it's not that hard to do. It's the only calculator I use that has that particular option and I highly recommend it when using unusual oils.

If you can find literature that lists not only the Saponification values, but also the Fatty Acid profiles of the oil, you can get more accurate results from your formula using this feature in soapmakingfriend.

Instructions how to do that are here at SMF somewhere, I'll look for the post about it and link you to it if you are interested.

Edited to add: In this thread, @Mobjack Bay explains how to add a custom oil in soapmakingfriend.com: GW 415 - Soy Wax

If you read through the thread (only 2 pages) there is more discussion and some clarification further down that may be helpful.

Is Soapmaking Friend no longer a free service?
It is free to a point. I know you can save up to five recipes in a "free" account. Whether you can also save any additives or new oils in a free account is a good question. If not, it's possible to ask the admin to add a new oil or additive, too.

@Yooper or @Admin can you advise? Thanks.

What if some oils couldn't be saponified. We use it or not
A good example of that is Pine Tar. Not an oil, but it's listed on SoapCalc but has no SAP value yet it makes lovely soap. ;) There are plenty of oils/fats/butters to choose from to create soap. If an oil doesn't have a SAP value, it probably isn't worth wasting your time, money and effort on trying to soap it.

Fragrance Oils and Essential Oils have no saponification value. They are "additives".

Musk as a fragrance but i don't know all fragrance oils have saponification numbers or some.
Laurel and frankincense oils..
What if some oils couldn't be saponified. We use it or not
Fragrance Oils do not saponify, thankfully. You will not find them listed on so@p calculators, and if they were listed, it would be a horrendously long and forever incomplete listing anyway!

Here is an interesting article on Nuture Soap regarding fragrance oils: Anchoring Fragrances in Cold Process Soap
And here is another article at Modern Soapmaking about essential oils: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/blog/using-essential-oils-in-soapmaking

I hope that helps with your question.

Latest posts

Back