If I make an all oil soap with superfat...will there be oil left over?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The question occurred to me while trying to replace coconut oil in one of my soaps. Can a soap with 100% liquid oil (such as RBO) have a superfat? Being that the superfat wouldn't react with lye, will there be a risk for an oily soap? Or does it incorporate somehow?

The oil that isn't consumed by the lye/oil reaction will be left over.
It is possible to make an oily soap.
An RBO only soap would be too soft for my liking and if I were to make one, I would keep the superfat as close to zero as possible.

The oil that isn't consumed by the lye/oil reaction will be left over.
It is possible to make an oily soap.
An RBO only soap would be too soft for my liking and if I were to make one, I would keep the superfat as close to zero as possible.

Thank you. I tried searching for the answer but I couldn't isolate the search. I kind of figured this would be the case.

It would have to be a high superfat though.

Soap molecules bind with things like oils (part of how they clean, why 100% coconut oil soap can feel very harsh etc) and so of course the extra oil in the bar binds quickly with the soap molecules as you lather up. Part of the reason why selective superfat is more label appeal than anything else

Latest posts

Back