Iditarod soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made these for the kids in the village of Grayling, where I will be volunteering during the Iditarod sled dog race. Kind of fun doing a mix of colors without worrying too much about placement.
Paw Medley.JPG

what a cool idea--love the colors. I am sure the kids will love them. its been pretty fun to give my soap to some of the kids I know--the one girl ran off right away and I thought "oh well, she must not of liked it" but she came back a few minutes later saying she washed her hands with it and loved it haha. they all act like I gave them candy. you are gonna have so much fun with it!! did you make these with left over colors as you mad soap? otherwise you really had a lot of colors going on

So cute! So right for kiddos.. And for me too hahaha

Been contemplating a colored soap for kids too but my micas don't like me and its a daunting prospect lol

So cute! So right for kiddos.. And for me too hahaha

Been contemplating a colored soap for kids too but my micas don't like me and its a daunting prospect lol

micas are pretty cool but do seem to have their own little challenges. it seems like I am constantly stirring them--I even went and bought one of those cheapo little frothers. it mixes up well though--I found out the hard way that I need to use what I am supposed to and not go over :) which seems hard for me for some reason. going less shouldn't be a problem. and I finally went and bought some small dixie cups to mix in--much nicer to just throw away (cleanup with mica sucks!!!) now I need a few of the smaller spatulas to make sure I get as much out of the cup as I can. now go make some kids soaps and post pics. I love seeing everybodies pics--I et so many ideas from them :)

Marilyn that's a great story. My array of colors was from a series of small batches - that's how I stayed ahead of acceleration while using the fragrances that I wanted. The batter had to be really fluid to fill in the toes of the small prints. I just randomly poured individual toes and pads first, until everything was filled in.

did you make these with left over colors as you mad soap? otherwise you really had a lot of colors going on

SYT, this is cold process so it did not need alcohol. There's really only two layers for each paw -- one for the toes and pad, one for the rest of the paw on top. I worked in small batches to use the (accelerating) fragrances that I wanted without letting the batter get too thick. The toes don't hold much batter so it needs to be really fluid. Plus I wanted a variety of colors which also benefited from small batches. I used a thin wood skewer to control the batter pour into the toes and pads. One those firmed up, I poured the remainder of the paws in just one pour.

Did you spray each succeeding layer with alchohol?

Latest posts

Back