Identify the Issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milashka

Reaction score
Hello, everyone
Can you help me to identify the issue with my soap?

I used 30% of Coconut oil and 53% of Olive oil and 17% of another soft oil. I used 95% of Sodium Hydroxide and 5% of Potassium Hydroxide. I mixed them at 120 degrees by a whisk until the mixture traced. I also added just 1% of a recipe of Lemongrass EO. Why does the soap has these lines? Thank you so much.

_20161107_125839.jpg

I have a couple of thoughts --

When you mix with a whisk, the soap may not be as homogenous (perfectly blended) as it is if you use a stick blender. When you pour the soap into the mold, it sometimes will make lines or swirly patterns like yours.

Also, if you used the default amount of water for the recipe (you did not say), that can also affect the look of the soap. It happens when soap gets quite warm and then cools slowly. This is called mottling, streaking, or sometimes "glycerin rivers."

DeeAnna,
Would you please explain what you meant "the default amount of water for the recipe." I am new to Soapmaking so am not sure. I used 35% Lye Concentration and 3% Superfat. Thank you!:)

Most online soap calculators have a default setting for water as "38% water as % of oils." This translates to about 28% lye concentration when using a typical blend of fats.

This is also what some soapers call "full water." I'm not sure where that name came from, but it's something you will see from time to time.

A lye concentration of 35% is using less water than the default setting I just described. Less water in the soap recipe tends to make mottling less likely.

It might also help to give the full recipe in general. "Another soft oil" leaves a lot of possible options - in this case it might not be too tragic (although if you had used avocado I would have a lot of questions!) but sometimes it's the little details which hold the answer

Another Oil

Most online soap calculators have a default setting for water as "38% water as % of oils." This translates to about 28% lye concentration when using a typical blend of fats.

This is also what some soapers call "full water." I'm not sure where that name came from, but it's something you will see from time to time.

A lye concentration of 35% is using less water than the default setting I just described. Less water in the soap recipe tends to make mottling less likely.

Thank you so much!

It might also help to give the full recipe in general. "Another soft oil" leaves a lot of possible options - in this case it might not be too tragic (although if you had used avocado I would have a lot of questions!) but sometimes it's the little details which hold the answer

Another oil I used was Laurel Berry Fruit Oil. The funny thing that I already made soap with this exact recipe. I just used 5% water discount. The soap turned to be fine; it was just a bit slimey. I am not sure what happened to this batch.

This soap is fine too. Yes, it looks different, but that's really just an esthetic issue. Small variations in temperature or method can make the difference. I personally like the look.

By the way -- when you talk about "5% water discount" you are talking about reducing the water from a "full water" setting. "Full water" is an imprecise term which makes "water discount" just as imprecise. Without launching into a long explanation at this point, let me summarize my point of view -- It's better to get used to using lye concentration (or water:lye ratio) and get away from this "water discount" and "full water" lingo. This will help to make your soaping more consistent and understandable.

Last edited:
This soap is fine too. Yes, it looks different, but that's really just an esthetic issue. Small variations in temperature or method can make the difference. I personally like the look.

By the way -- when you talk about "5% water discount" you are talking about reducing the water from a "full water" setting. "Full water" is an imprecise term which makes "water discount" just as imprecise. Without launching into a long explanation at this point, let me summarize my point of view -- It's better to get used to using lye concentration (or water:lye ratio) and get away from this "water discount" and "full water" lingo. This will help to make your soaping more consistent and understandable.

Thank you so much!:)

Back