Ideas for cooling bedroom temp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have air conditioning. I installed blackout roller shades on every window in my house. They're great for blocking out the sun and keeping the house cooler. My house is an east/west orientation. So the east facing windows have the shades pulled low in the mornings. Around noon, they go up and I adjust the west window shades accordingly. I do leave windows open and have ceiling fans in every room and a couple of floor fans that travel around the house. At night, I orient a fan to blow over the bed. That has helped keeping me cool enough at night to sleep.

Growing up, my mom would not only pull the shades down to block the sun and though it seems counter intuitive, she also closed the windows early in the morning. She'd open windows after the heat of the day. The house stayed fairly cool that way.

Well that's quite an array of ideas!

I also found a contraption called a bedjet that sits under the bed and pipes blown air under your sheets. Very expensive - why it's better than simply using a regular fan I don't know.

There's also this: https://www.chilitechnology.com/?rf...medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=1443244.b3dde8e Chilled water is piped through silicone tubes in a mattress pad. Extremely expensive, questionable reliance according to the reviews. If money were no option - I would try this.

I also looked into portable air conditioners. A pain: heavy to get upstairs (and these new floors scratch if you rub silk across them!), and pretty loud. Plus you have to set up a ventilation pipe out the window and I have all vertical sliders and a young foster cat who has to have access to her outdoor entertainment so I would have to tear down and replace every day. Don't know that it's worth the hassles.

I ordered some solar window film (not blackout). And I'm considering the Slumber Cloud mattress pad - another outrageous expensive item - $255 for a queen mattress pad! So....I'd get a twin and hope I can get it to lay properly. One of their pillow would be nice too - but that's at least another $70.

The DIY air conditioner is intriguing, but that means having to keep large quantities of ice in the freezer and re-freezing them daily and I just don't see that happening.
A chilled bed sounds really, really good :)

I am thinking of getting a Waterbed. you don't HAVE to have the heat on and when it is off.... if I remember from when I was a teen, it was cold ;)

A waterbed is too cold if there's no temperature control. The water needs to be in the mid 80s to low 90s F and a waterbed in a house won't stay that warm even in the hottest part of the year with no AC. Sleeping on an unheated waterbed might be fine for a short nap, but otherwise is one of the most uncomfortable sleeping experiences I can think of -- cold and clammy.

All waterbeds have a Temp control.
If you turn it off, it gets cold.
My sisters Bunny ate through the darn cord one winter day. I didn't realize it until after about an hour in bed and it was FREEZING ! lol
Thinking back now that sounds wonderful some nights ;)
But I am usually cold so for me the heat is the best part.
I have a heated mattress pad on most of the year. Only turn it off from like end of May till about mid Sept. I have a Tempurpedic type bed now and I like the smushy type beds better

A waterbed is too cold if there's no temperature control. The water needs to be in the mid 80s to low 90s F and a waterbed in a house won't stay that warm even in the hottest part of the year with no AC. cold and clammy.
This is so true...i don't remember clammy but i do remember it being unreasonably cold. But if you fiddled with the temperature, surely a person could get what they need. Got to be cheaper than this, which arrived in my mail yesterday.

Well after getting a 15% coupon and free shipping I went ahead and bought the Slumber Cloud. There is a 2 month return policy if I don't like it and my sleep is worth it. I just don't think a portable air conditioner is feasible.

I really like to use a humidifier as well because it's about 80% right now - still getting a lot of marine layer. But they also heat up the room.

Back