Ideas for a FO to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - need some ideas. I have my Christmas soaps going, but I have some friends that don’t celebrate Christmas. I am planning to make a blue and white soap or all blue soap and want a FO that will match that look. I was hoping to find something that would be like fresh snow or something winter-y. Am I looking for a unicorn, or does anyone have a suggestion? I was planning something like this or blue/white swirls, but I’m not a fan of peppermint or the FO BB suggests….. TIA 🌸

https://www.brambleberry.com/articl....html?cgid=3-cp_project_studio#start=37&sz=12

I second Winter Wonderland as a good match with blue soap. It smells wintery to me, does not discolor and behaves well in soap. I used it for blue and white winter season soap last year and people liked it.

winter wonderland is what comes to mind, however its new IFRA usage rate (if you follow that) is at about 2%.
Perhaps a pine type scent?
That is true, and I have not tested at the new IFRA rate. It is strong, but I think soap with the new rate will be on the light side. I have blended it with lavender EO, and that is nice.

Not a fan of winter wonderland. My soaps this year will be iced almond cookies, cocoa butter cashmere and gingerbread from MWF, and one called christmas eve (smells like apple, peach, strawberry, cherry and vanilla) that I think is from Studio Fragrance.

Not a fan of winter wonderland. My soaps this year will be iced almond cookies, cocoa butter cashmere and gingerbread from MWF, and one called christmas eve (smells like apple, peach, strawberry, cherry and vanilla) that I think is from Studio Fragrance.
Hi @MelissaG - I checked the abbreviations list and couldn’t find MWF. Where is it that you get those scents? Sounds yummy! TIA 🌸

Thanks everyone! I placed an order for Winter Wonderland and while I was there, got some non-holiday FO - taste the rainbow and juicy pear. 🌸

winter wonderland is what comes to mind, however its new IFRA usage rate (if you follow that) is at about 2%.
Perhaps a pine type scent?
Thanks for the heads up.

Now I’m wondering about a replacement! The notes given for WW are light green, pineapple, forest pine needles, clove buds, sweet cotton candy, soft woody notes, and a light ozone breeze. I can’t say that the clove bud note ever came through for me.

I used Bramble Berry’s Alpine Frost a couple of years ago and liked it. The notes include bergamot, eucalyptus, sparkling icicle, thyme, basil, iris, amber, cedarwood, and musk. Another possibility that I haven’t tried is BB’s Frosted Fir. The notes include wild berry, pineapple, pacific breeze, silver fir, blue spruce, plumeria, and musk.

@Mobjack Bay I had kind of hoped they would reformulate it! I think that what may have put WW in such low IFRA usage were both the clove and and sweet cotton candy. The sweet cotton candy probably had a high vanillin percentage, and from what I read cinnamon and clove are used to create an alternative vanillin fragrance, (third paragraph); since the real thing is cost prohibited and scarce.

I have never tried it, but Christmas Tree Farm from Aztec Candle seems popular based on amount of reviews and it is described as:
Fresh citrus adds sparkle to this winter delight of crisp pine needles, sweet fir balsam and warm cedar. Hints of spiced apple add sweetness to the blend while clear musky undertones create lingering sweetness.
Top – citrus, apple, spice
Middle – pine needle, fir balsam, cedar
Bottom – musk
I started a 1 oz sample cart (10 for $10) so I will add it and hopefully try it soon.

I made a batch using BB Woodland Elves in early July. It reminded me of Winter Wonderland OOB. But WE doesn't stick like WW - the scent is nearly gone already :(

Hi @MelissaG - I checked the abbreviations list and couldn’t find MWF. Where is it that you get those scents? Sounds yummy! TIA 🌸

Thanks everyone! I placed an order for Winter Wonderland and while I was there, got some non-holiday FO - taste the rainbow and juicy pear. 🌸
MWF I believe is Midwest Fragrance. I didn't like Taste the Rainbow OOB, but it smells really nice in the curing soap.

Oh I'm sorry, it's Midwest Fragrance. They are awesome.

Back