Idea for facial soaps...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I've had facial soap on my mind for a while. I've been needing to make more and there's been alot of discussion about it here. I was thinking that if I make some, I will use my regular goat milk recipe except sub. half the GM for fresh aloe juice. I could infuse one of the veg. oils with comfery and use Rosemary, Lavender, Tea Tree, and Patchouli EO's. I could also swirl with charcoal. Does this sound allright? Of these oils, which would be best for infusing with comfery: Almond, Safflower, Coconut, Palm, and Soy shortening? Do I need to just use Olive oil, like what I've seen used for infused oils? Lastly, how much charcoal ppo? Thanks!

Do some reading on the Patchouli Oil - I'm not 100% pos but I think it's a skin sensitizer. I know for a fact that Tea Tree is, and should only be applied as a spot treatment for acne.

I should ask what skin condition you're trying to address. Because acne-prone skins have trouble with Palm oil. While coconut oil is really great for acne skin types.

My intention is not to address a specific condition. I'm thinking in terms of my experiences with my own skin. I love using patchouli on my skin in soaps or by itself as perfume. I've always had great luck with a blend of rosemary, lavender, and tea tree in my acne days and my customers came back again and again for that blend. Thanks for your thoughts!

brian0523 said:
I know for a fact that Tea Tree is, and should only be applied as a spot treatment for acne.
Tea Tree Oil hates me. :( It's the only thing my skin has ever had problems with.

I don't know what kind of soaping you are into but here's my input- this is based off of melt and pour soaps. I don't get much improvement with tea tree oil soap. But it does work on some people's acne. I like to use witch hazel. It not only cleanse the pores but it closes them also. I also add ground oatmeal in them along with the witchhazel. I love it and so does some of my friends. But I guess it's also a matter of to each their own. Hope this helps a little. I can get the recipie if you are intrested. :wink:

Try infusing chamomile and calendula. oil depends on what your putting in the soap. Dead Sea Mud, and clays are good for a face soap as well.

La Oberhasli said:
Does this sound allright? Of these oils, which would be best for infusing with comfery: Almond, Safflower, Coconut, Palm, and Soy shortening? Do I need to just use Olive oil, like what I've seen used for infused oils? Lastly, how much charcoal ppo? Thanks!

It sounds just fine for me!! :D I love Patchouli. The GM would be good for the lactic acid.

I do not see why you could not use the other oils for infusing. Maybe the Almond would be good for face soap. I think olive is used most often because of the shelf life.

Make what feels good for your skin.

Digit

i prefer a facial soap unscented. mine is 50/50 gm and oat milk.

mostly infused calendula olive oil, a bit of castor and avocado and ground oats.

it's very good to my sun worshipped as teenager didn't know any better back then, wouldn't listen to ya anyway sun exposed face.

Hi, what are peoples opinion on the oat milk?

Also this might be a dumb question, and sorry if it hijacks your topic, but I can only get GM in a carton at the supermarket so I'm guessing it's been pasturised etc... Am I loosing out on the goodies of Fresh GM by buying this?

Hi La Oberhasli

I have had the same idea in my head, lately, too!

Everything you guys are suggesting sounds like great ideas. From the research I have been doing the past few months on the subject...it is pretty much all inline.

I was thinking of using French Green Clay, but then read, off a fellow soap maker's site that Chine Clay is the most gentle/mild of clays....and best for the face. I have never used clays in my soaps, yet...but that is what I read.

I am really wanting to try carrot seed oil and fresh carrot juice in a facial soap formula, too. The vitamins and antiaging properties found when using Vitamin A are so popular now. And have show real results in many cases.

I didn't have acne as a child or teenager, but seem to have the beginnings of adult acne now. :0( So, this subject is becoming increasingly interesting to me. :0)

I personally love high-quality Tea Tree oil. But it is a sensitizer for some.
I have found it not so common. Pretty rare. But for those unfortunate to be sensitive to it...it could pose a problem. But I also would tend to speculate that it may help in putting a smaller % of the tea tree oil in the soap...compared to some of the other medicinal quality eo's you are adding. I have made a number of shampoo bars with a good amount of medicinal quality tea tree oil. And many customers prefer that bar and are always asking when I will make more. :0)

I would suggest making 2 different kinds. One with Tea Tree for those Tea Tree oil lovers. And one without it, that would want to try your facial soap...but can't due to their sensitivity to Tea Tree oil

I have been making homemade rice, almond and oat milk for about a year now. I love oat milk. But I haven't tried it in my CP soap formulas yet. Another experiment I would love to do, soon! Good question!

busymammaof3 said:
I am really wanting to try carrot seed oil and fresh carrot juice in a facial soap formula, too. The vitamins and antiaging properties found when using Vitamin A are so popular now. And have show real results in many cases.

Just an idea here - I have been using carrot seed oil and seeing great results. But it is $$. Instead of soaping it and possibly losing some of the great qualities (I do not know if you would), maybe make a stay on product like serum or moisturizer with it. It does have an "earthy" scent, but would be fine used at night.

Digit

Hi Digit!

Thanks for the links to the sites, earlier. You read my mind. LOL I actually started looking into carrot seed oil and vitamin A because my MIL is set in her ways and likes her Avon anti aging product. ;0)

I planned on doing both. Adding it to soap and the facial moisturizer I already have formulated. Or possibly carrot juice in the soap batch and the seed oil in the moisturizer.

Neem is great for acne, but it's quite stinky it does work though. Tea tree works for me. Salt bars are what work for my breakouts though. If your selling these just remember you can't claim they cure, heal anything or the FDA will come after you.

Latest posts

Back