Icky Oooo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night my room mate gave me an aloe plant. ooooooooo! So.....there I was this morning scraping that snotty slime and stick blending it smooth so I could use it in.......what else........SOAP! I used Vanilla, Raspberry, and Jasmine FOs, and added a touch of Patchouli EO. I used some spirulina powder as a colorant, but I figured this soap is gonna go dark on me anyway. It is snug as a bug in a rug right now.

I never realized that aloe was such a mess. I felt like I had been slimed...lol! Then trying to clean it off my counters and out of my containers. Yuck.

Aloe snot ... hahah! We find that it cleans up easily becuase it contains no oil or protein. And it really is a very gentle moisturizer or antiseptic just fresh from the leaf. I don't really expect any 'healing properties' to survive the CP process and tell people that. But it does add niceties to a soap recipe. Our family has been doing this for a few years, cause when we leave tiny bits of the 'green' part of the leaf in the 'snot' and put it into CP soap, those tiny bits morph to interesting colors during the curing time. It almost always turns the raw soap batter a lovely pale purple color ... doesn't stay, but it makes the soap-mixing even more fun. Then the bits of green turn to magenta-pink, or pink-beige, or pinky-tan after a month of cure. Aloe also makes the soap very smoooooth in texture, and cooler/lighter in color than it would be otherwise. We scent ours with all EOs Lavender / Tea tree / Rosemary / Litsea, and with a tiny bit of Kaolin clay added in the oils, it all turns out a very nice, clean smelling, smooth complexion bar for my daughters. Actually, they are the ones that scrape the snot LOL ... they learned to take the larger, outer leaves. Split the aloe leaf open lenghtwise, like a hotdog bun. Then they hold the leaf inside/against a cup and scrape the snot down and out into the cup. They scrape the leaf really good, leaving in the bits of green. I typically use a can of tallow/veg shortening as the hard fats for this recipe, because it has a bit of BHT in it which acts as a preservative for the Aloe. I only had some DOS in one batch of Aloe vera soap that was over a year old. When I took it to market, in hot summer weather, those older bars began to develop DOS. I'm sure you will like your ALoe soap!

I had an aloe once, I didn't break any parts off of it, but I managed to kill it... I have also killed cactus... I am talented that way (in other words, don't keep me near house plants if you want them to live, lol)

I had an aloe once, I didn't break any parts off of it, but I managed to kill it... I have also killed cactus... I am talented that way (in other words, don't keep me near house plants if you want them to live, lol)

You sound like me. I once kept a plant alive for 4 months, that's my record. I think it stayed alive because I left it alone. I inherited the brown thumb from my mother, who was known for killing her fake plants.

Latest posts

Back