Ice(oat milk) & lye mix gone bad

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t read all the other replies so I apologize if I repeat anything.

I make Goat Milk Soap with 100% frozen goat milk. There is a slight ammonia smell, but it goes away. It also thickens up, but that is because of the fats in the milk that the lye is binding to. I’m guessing that the lye is binding to the starch in the oat milk, and when you heat starch, it thickens fast. I’m sure it’s been suggested that you go with a 50/50 solution...50% of your water as water mixed with the lye and 50% of your water as oat milk mixed with your oils. Just make sure the water is not less than lye.
I’m reasearching using goat milk for the first time, and I”d like to use %100 Instead of 50/50, if possible. Can you explain a bit more about the ice method you use? Do you just sprinkle the lye onto the weighed out GM ice cubes? Have you ever added honey to that soap? I just made a post about this, but I’m also searching the forum for answers. TIA

I’m reasearching using goat milk for the first time, and I”d like to use %100 Instead of 50/50, if possible. Can you explain a bit more about the ice method you use? Do you just sprinkle the lye onto the weighed out GM ice cubes? Have you ever added honey to that soap? I just made a post about this, but I’m also searching the forum for answers. TIA

Here's an article for you: Creamy Goat Milk Soap Recipe - Soap Queen. I don't know about adding the honey - I never tried that in cold process.

I use 100% goat milk that I freeze into cubes, I put the bowl of frozen milk into a larger bowl of ice, water and about a tablespoon of salt, the salt helps keep the ice from melting as fast and keeps it colder. I then add the lye to the milk a little at a time, careful to not let it get above 70F so it doesn’t burn and discolor. It’s worth the little extra time to end up with a creamy bar of soap. Never found a reason to add honey or sugar.

I use 100% goat milk that I freeze into cubes, I put the bowl of frozen milk into a larger bowl of ice, water and about a tablespoon of salt, the salt helps keep the ice from melting as fast and keeps it colder. I then add the lye to the milk a little at a time, careful to not let it get above 70F so it doesn’t burn and discolor. It’s worth the little extra time to end up with a creamy bar of soap. Never found a reason to add honey or sugar.
What oils do you use? I use very low CO so the sugar I use adds bubbles. This goat milk honey soap I want to make is a collaboration with a friend who raises both.

Back