ice lanterns

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I guess these transplants to Minnesota have truly arrived and embraced the cold in the midst of a 2-week stretch of zero degrees. Mrs. Zing gets all the credit.

Attachments

• IMG-5026.JPG
    IMG-5026.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG-5024.JPG
    IMG-5024.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG-5025.JPG
    IMG-5025.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 41
I've made ice lanterns before, but no - I didn't do the frozen jeans. It's a 'thing' though, and I've seen some displays on the local news with the cold stretch of weather we've been having. People have to do something to amuse themselves 😂 I'm honestly not that clever, but I am easily amused. That sculpture is interesting.

Yes, "interesting." I'm not an art expert but this installation is really powerful. The artist said she wanted people to feel uncomfortable, and it works, I'm totally un-nerved in the middle of 10 feet high legs!

A local foundation annually puts on an annual outdoor art exhibit of ice sculptures and candles that is like miles long on a frozen lake (which totally freaked out these new residents). It's stunning to see the creativity, and these lanterns line the entire pathway. This year, they cancelled it because IT WAS TOO COLD!!

1613834126158.png

So I recently moved here after a lifetime in Chicago. One cherished practice there is that after people dig their car out of a snowdrift following a blizzard, they call "dibs" and mark their private spot on a public street with all kinds of stuff like trash cans, toy kitchen sets, lawn chairs, traffic cones, etc. I just read a news story that one guy is marking his spot with frozen jeans!! LOL

Latest posts

Back