Ice-dyed scarves and a freaky t-shirt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks to encouragement from @Mobjack Bay, my grandsons and I tried ice-dying yesterday. It is SO FUN! They each made a beautiful and unique scarf for their mom's upcoming birthday (pics 1 and 2).

I threw in one of DH's old t-shirts just as an experiment. I planned a half-flower on the bottom, which turned out looking more like cool insect wings. What I didn't plan were all the interesting faces on the back of the shirt. We all think that the top set of eyes near the neckline look like Angry Bird eyes. Right below those is a cute alien with antenna and three feet.

But below that, near the middle, right above the flower petals/insect wings, we all see different stuff:

Youngest grandson spotted this face first, and he sees a doggie.
Next grandson sees a scary clown.
My husband saw a Klingon.
I see a dog that looks just like its Klingon owner. Or maybe a Klingon who looks like his dog. 😂

Below the Klingon/dog/clown is a goofy cartoon character of some kind. What are the odds of four distinct faces in one piece?!

What do you see??

IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

I vote for: Klingon who looks like his dog. 🤣 🤣

Really though - all are so beautiful. Nicely done!

Oh! you guys are creeping me out.... Jesus has appeared in a bar of soap yesterday and a very angry looking dog-like creature with a cute bunny floating above him! That's a very though provoking shirt! 😬 :p ;) I have been wanting to try tie-dyeing with the kids! Very good job! they are beautiful!!!

I see the Queen from Aliens! The one with Sigourney Weaver.. Lol

Without the crown thingy it does look like a doggy

Those are all cool looking though. And yey for a fun time with the grandsons :)

This is a lovely gift idea! I'll have to try it with my nephews and nieces sometime, they're pretty crafty kiddos. How did your grandsons like it, was it easy for them? Obviously, they did a very nice job!

Thanks, everyone. The process is a lot of fun, and it was easy enough for the kids to add the dye to the prepared scarves (they are 8 and 10).

Not to enable any of you, but a basic Procion dye kit is available on Amazon for $20. You can find good ice-dyeing tutorials on YT, too.
Is this the kit you used? Things are going so bad for Autumn maybe I will order this for her.

This is a lovely gift idea! I'll have to try it with my nephews and nieces sometime, they're pretty crafty kiddos. How did your grandsons like it, was it easy for them? Obviously, they did a very nice job!
Thanks! They had a lot of fun. Given their ages (8 and 10), I did much of the prep work for them: pre-washing the scarves, soaking them in the soda ash (washing soda) solution, and wringing them out. I also got out the pans and dyes. I let them arrange the scarves on the drip tray, put the ice on top, and then sprinkle the dyes around. The older one was fairly methodical about where he put the colors, whereas the younger one was very random. What's funny is that their results were pretty similar, and both very beautiful.

After the ice melted overnight, I also rinsed out the excess dye before putting the scarves through the wash. Some kids might be able to handle the rinsing task, but these two boys would have spattered dye all over kitchen as part of their rinsing fun. 😆

All that to say, you can break down the process into parts that are suitable for different ages, skill levels, and attention styles. For me, it pays to think through all that in advance so that they and I don't get frustrated with what is supposed to be a fun time together.

@cmzaha I will PM you. :)

Last edited:
Back