Ice-dyed, Monet-inspired blouse

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I don’t have enough time to make soap, I can still find 15-30 minutes here and there to “slow sew” my way to a blouse. This one is made with linen remnants I ice dyed this past summer. Color-wise, it’s maybe a little more Van Gogh than Monet, but I was aiming for the ice dye to look a bit like Monet’s Water Lilies. All I need to do now is to sew on the buttons

. 1537BA9D-32A4-4BA0-A8FF-87A540E3D7CE.jpeg54009E3E-441D-4C3A-9A5F-D916A29DB33D.jpeg

Just looked it up Ice-dying. Love love this idea.
Where are you purchasing all your supplies?
Is there a forum for it?
For years I purchased mostly from Dharma Trading, which is a great company. I recently ordered dye from Pro Chemical, which is another company know for good customer service. They’re in MA versus Dharma in CA. Both websites have good resource sections, and Dharma offers a wider range of products. I’ve never found a forum quite like this one for dyers. There is at least one group on Reddit and FB would be another place to check. Paula Burch’s website is a good place to get started on dyeing science. The website MadebyBarb provides entry level webpages on ice dyeing. It’s all pretty easy as long as you understand that colors made from blends of dyes will split apart in ice dyeing. For example, a purple dye blend made by mixing a pure red and a pure blue will likely give you red, purple and blue in an ice dyed item. The other key variable is time. Some dyes react slowly and others react relatively quickly.

Here are a couple of other items I’ve dyed so you can see how folding and tying affect the patterns. The items in the first photo were pleated and bound (with string or rubber bands). The circles on the front of the dress (second photo) were bound tightly or loosely with rubber bands. I typically use only 3-4 dye colors, but they’re blends that split into constituent colors as the ice melts. This can lead to unexpected results, like the lilac tones on the front of the dress that probably split out of a blue.

DA11002A-0D63-491E-87B0-3875C838AF42.jpeg
C9341D54-55C5-4FBE-9C41-3848FBA8340B.jpeg

Back