Icarus syndrome....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipwell

Reaction score
I may have tried to reached too high....This is my first post, 25th batch of soap, and first attempt at a slanting technique. Small info about technique. I decided on 5 colors, so once my oils were measured and mixed I divided it into 5 seperate containers. As I had to let each level harden to carry the burden of the next layer, I mixed my lye (again I divided the amt by 5 and only poured that amt in) added colorant and poured. I did this for all layers. Next day (today) I unmolded my gelled soap and pulled back the freezer paper and noticed what looked like a fluid filled air pocket between the paper and bottom of the bar.
I pulled back the paper and noticed it was yellow colored liquid. I first thought oil, and i touched it to my tongue and was zapped. I haven't cut it yet (still a little soft) so I am unsure as to the interior of the bar (I trimmed off a little on the edge to see the pattern)
Can anyone offer insight...is this batch ruined? What do I do with it? etc
Thanks so much

I am really wondering if it overheated and separated. Separating your batter and lye you should not have had any problems. It almost sounds like it may have separated or started to volcano in the the middle due to overheating. You will not know until you cut the batch and see if there is a cavern inside. If you used full water the 38% calculation in soapcalc it can certainly cause overheating and separation. Put in a container that can catch all the liquid in case it is seperated inside so you can catch it all. If this happens you can put the soft soap and all the liquid into a crock pot and rebatch. A stainless steel pan can also be used in the oven with temp around 180º -200º F for rebatching.

I did use soap calc (I do for all my recipes) with the 38% water setting. I have sliced it up as I could not wait (ugh) and there are no caverns. There seems to be some minor glycerin rivers. Hubby is out sourcing me some pH strips from the drugstore. I am going to test it now and again in a cpl days.
I have never experienced separation or lye pockets before but luck can only take you so far I suppose :)

If there are no caverns or pockets, it's possible it separated just a touch in a corner. Once cut, I would let is sit and cure for at least a week, then zap test. If all is good, you should be able to use it. Can you post some pictures?

Pics of the soap....

excuse the uninspired pics....the first one is a picture of the bottom of the soap and the pocket I found there. Since I have cut the soap there is no caverns that appeared and no oozing.

20160415_141208.jpg

20160415_141301.jpg

20160415_150619.jpg

20160416_080120.jpg

Like BlackDog, there's nothing more that I could add to the excellent advice already given, but I just wanted to say that your soap is gorgeous!

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back