Icarus syndrome....

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

chipwell

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
5
I may have tried to reached too high....This is my first post, 25th batch of soap, and first attempt at a slanting technique. Small info about technique. I decided on 5 colors, so once my oils were measured and mixed I divided it into 5 seperate containers. As I had to let each level harden to carry the burden of the next layer, I mixed my lye (again I divided the amt by 5 and only poured that amt in) added colorant and poured. I did this for all layers. Next day (today) I unmolded my gelled soap and pulled back the freezer paper and noticed what looked like a fluid filled air pocket between the paper and bottom of the bar.
I pulled back the paper and noticed it was yellow colored liquid. I first thought oil, and i touched it to my tongue and was zapped. I haven't cut it yet (still a little soft) so I am unsure as to the interior of the bar (I trimmed off a little on the edge to see the pattern)
Can anyone offer insight...is this batch ruined? What do I do with it? etc
Thanks so much
 

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2011
Messages
11,922
Reaction score
11,504
Location
Southern California
I am really wondering if it overheated and separated. Separating your batter and lye you should not have had any problems. It almost sounds like it may have separated or started to volcano in the the middle due to overheating. You will not know until you cut the batch and see if there is a cavern inside. If you used full water the 38% calculation in soapcalc it can certainly cause overheating and separation. Put in a container that can catch all the liquid in case it is seperated inside so you can catch it all. If this happens you can put the soft soap and all the liquid into a crock pot and rebatch. A stainless steel pan can also be used in the oven with temp around 180º -200º F for rebatching.
 

chipwell

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
5
I did use soap calc (I do for all my recipes) with the 38% water setting. I have sliced it up as I could not wait (ugh) and there are no caverns. There seems to be some minor glycerin rivers. Hubby is out sourcing me some pH strips from the drugstore. I am going to test it now and again in a cpl days.
I have never experienced separation or lye pockets before but luck can only take you so far I suppose :)
 

Susie

Supporting Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2013
Messages
9,713
Reaction score
9,214
Location
Texas
No pH strips will help. We already know it is alkaline. How much liquid was it?
 

newbie

Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
6,117
Reaction score
5,377
If there are no caverns or pockets, it's possible it separated just a touch in a corner. Once cut, I would let is sit and cure for at least a week, then zap test. If all is good, you should be able to use it. Can you post some pictures?
 

chipwell

Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2016
Messages
5
Reaction score
5
Pics of the soap....

excuse the uninspired pics....the first one is a picture of the bottom of the soap and the pocket I found there. Since I have cut the soap there is no caverns that appeared and no oozing.

20160415_141208.jpg


20160415_141301.jpg


20160415_150619.jpg


20160416_080120.jpg
 

BlackDog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2015
Messages
582
Reaction score
842
I have no advice but wanted to tell you these look great! I love them!
 

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Moderator
Joined
Feb 11, 2008
Messages
17,287
Reaction score
11,090
Location
Right here, silly!
Like BlackDog, there's nothing more that I could add to the excellent advice already given, but I just wanted to say that your soap is gorgeous!


IrishLass :)
 
Top