I would like to learn to make candles, appreciate any direction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abacoian

Reaction score
My story is I'm in a wheelchair and have been working at Mcdonalds for 10 years. It is a blessing but it does get old. My mind is always thinking I could make extra money and even get to the point of leaving Mcdonalds. I have so many ideas but after work I'm so tired and just want to veg out. And then I try to start a project the right way and get a bit overwhelmed and don't do anything at all. But I know if I just get it together I can learn some neat skills and maybe make some extra money.

Is there a simple process / book / video that I should start with just to get going and not get overwhelmed? Yesterday I saw this at Hobby Lobby https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...ing/Candle-Making/Candle-Maker-Kit/p/80905996 and am wondering if it would be better for me to get something like that that does the work for me or to do everything manually. I appreciate any direction you can give me.

Thank you,
Ian

Hi Ian. Welcome to the forum. You might want to go over to the Introduction section and introduce yourself there. I have the kit that you linked to. It is OK, but if I were just getting into candle making I would go to Candle Science or the Soap Queen Blog for info on what type of wax, wicks etc. go together. Anne Marie at the Soap Queen Blog has several YouTube tutorials on candle making.

Hi Ian. Welcome to the forum. You might want to go over to the Introduction section and introduce yourself there. I have the kit that you linked to. It is OK, but if I were just getting into candle making I would go to Candle Science or the Soap Queen Blog for info on what type of wax, wicks etc. go together. Anne Marie at the Soap Queen Blog has several YouTube tutorials on candle making.
Thank you! I will check out those resources. Does that kit simplify things? I'm hoping to find a way to make candles that I may need little or no assistance with.

Last edited:
Personally, I highly recommend CandleScience for candles (but not soaps) and BrambleBerry for soaps (but not candles).
CandleScience has a LEARN section that is very helpful, it has both videos and downloadable PDFs.
https://www.candlescience.com/learn-candle-making

They also have a Beginning Soy Candle Making Kit.
https://www.candlescience.com/kits/soy-candle-making-kit

Before I purchased anything, I would watch the videos and read the PDFs; then if it seems to be something of interest, order a kit.

Personally, I highly recommend CandleScience for candles (but not soaps) and BrambleBerry for soaps (but not candles).
CandleScience has a LEARN section that is very helpful, it has both videos and downloadable PDFs.
https://www.candlescience.com/learn-candle-making

They also have a Beginning Soy Candle Making Kit.
https://www.candlescience.com/kits/soy-candle-making-kit

Before I purchased anything, I would watch the videos and read the PDFs; then if it seems to be something of interest, order a kit.
Thank you, I am looking at the soy making tutorial. Can you tell me if soy is a good all around choice for making candles? Thank you

My understanding is that Soy wax has gone through a lot of changes over the last couple years and it takes a ton of testing to find the right wax and it seems to vary from batch to batch (no consistency), wick depending on container size as well as individual fragrances used. I had though about trying some candles until I read on it on other forums and decided I had enough on my plate.

My understanding is that Soy wax has gone through a lot of changes over the last couple years and it takes a ton of testing to find the right wax and it seems to vary from batch to batch (no consistency), wick depending on container size as well as individual fragrances used. I had though about trying some candles until I read on it on other forums and decided I had enough on my plate.
this is correct. Since soy is a natural product, and every soy farmer, and soy field is grown differently and so on and so on, no two batches will ever be the same, unless they are from the same batch lot, and even then there could be slight variations. It's always been this way even from the beginning, but now with the new regulations regarding GMO, the way the bean are processed make it even less consistent than it was before.

This is why I don't use soy. It's always been too finicky for me, and it is absolutely no better than any other type of wax regardless of all the hype out there about how much better than paraffin it is. All that is is great marketing by the soy industry. There have been a multitude of studies done to prove this point.

Anyway, to the OP, lsg gave good advice, research and then get a kit. The kit will teach you the basics, and then once you are comfortable, and want to continue to experiment, you can expand.

My input would be candle making can be tricky to get right and to get consistent results, esp with soy. There isn't a short cut to testing, testing, testing and it can eat up money testing wicks and fragrances.

As long as you are comfortable with the additional costs it can get great fun but there's not as much money in it these days I'm afraid.

Thank you guys for sharing your wisdom with me. I'm not comfortable with extra costs lol. Even if there isn't money in it I think it will still be enjoyable and rewarding. I sell some of my art work once in a while at weekend craft shows and occasionally through fb and thinking I could possibly sell a few that way and then who knows. So if not soy, what would be the best kind of wax that I should look into for making candles? Appreciate the help! Also wondering about the kit I posted, does anyone know if it can be used to melt wax and I wouldn't have to worry with the stove right now?

Hi there! I'm not a chandler, but when I started making soap I went to the library and took out all the books on soap making and essential oils. 26 in all over a period of about 3 weeks. It was a great way of learning about making soap. That's one thing.

The second thing is that all candle making suppliers have a learning section. I get regular emails from candlewick.com and I'm tempted to get started. But it's just like soap... a lot to learn and practice before you can actually reach the point where the hobby supports itself, let alone, becomes real income.

As an artist, I suggest you put your artistic eye on the goal of creating a unique candle that nobody else does. For example, Denver is a sports-oriented town. All sorts of sculptured candles come to my mind... the first being a bronco for our football team.

You could focus on nature; animals, domestic and wild; something your home town is famous for; even, God help us, a Big Mac!!! haha

Well, that's enough from me. I was an art consultant for a while. My heart goes out to those who choose to make a living from their art work. It's challenging to be sure, no matter what the circumstances.

Many blessings to you, Sir. I wish you well and a prosperous, creative 2020! :thumbs:

Thank you guys for sharing your wisdom with me. I'm not comfortable with extra costs lol. Even if there isn't money in it I think it will still be enjoyable and rewarding. I sell some of my art work once in a while at weekend craft shows and occasionally through fb and thinking I could possibly sell a few that way and then who knows. So if not soy, what would be the best kind of wax that I should look into for making candles? Appreciate the help! Also wondering about the kit I posted, does anyone know if it can be used to melt wax and I wouldn't have to worry with the stove right now?
IMO I would skip the kit from Hobby Lobby and get one from a reputable candle supplier. Also, IMO the easiest wax to work with and to learn with is a container paraffin blend. To melt you can get a presto pot from WalMart relatively inexpensive and that will eliminate the need for a double boiler.

But it's just like soap... a lot to learn and practice before you can actually reach the point where the hobby supports itself, let alone, becomes real income.
I agree that it takes a lot of learning testing to become a real income, however, I disagree that it's just like soap. IMO learning to make candles was MUCH harder to perfect than soapmaking ever was.
As an artist, I suggest you put your artistic eye on the goal of creating a unique candle that nobody else does. For example, Denver is a sports-oriented town. All sorts of sculptured candles come to my mind... the first being a bronco for our football team.
Although these types of candles are fun, and a novelty, they really don't sell well. Also, they are harder to get the wicking perfected so it would be easier for a beginner to start with something a bit simpler such as a straight sided container candle. Get that down pat first and then venture into different novelty type pillar candles.
That's my advice anyway...

Hi there! I'm not a chandler, but when I started making soap I went to the library and took out all the books on soap making and essential oils. 26 in all over a period of about 3 weeks. It was a great way of learning about making soap. That's one thing.

The second thing is that all candle making suppliers have a learning section. I get regular emails from candlewick.com and I'm tempted to get started. But it's just like soap... a lot to learn and practice before you can actually reach the point where the hobby supports itself, let alone, becomes real income.

You could focus on nature; animals, domestic and wild; something your home town is famous for; even, God help us, a Big Mac!!! haha

Well, that's enough from me. I was an art consultant for a while. My heart goes out to those who choose to make a living from their art work. It's challenging to be sure, no matter what the circumstances.

Many blessings to you, Sir. I wish you well and a prosperous, creative 2020! :thumbs:
I may go to the library but reading a bit online and I think I can get a free amazon kindle book. I did sign up for a free course from one of those sites. I am interested in possibly coming up with an eye appealing candle and also a really good scent but don't think I want to venture into different shapes. No big mac candles lol. I wish I could make a living from art but honestly I enjoy doing it regardless of sales. Of course a sale is awesome but enjoying the art is just as important. I thank you for your kind wishes!

IMO I would skip the kit from Hobby Lobby and get one from a reputable candle supplier. Also, IMO the easiest wax to work with and to learn with is a container paraffin blend. To melt you can get a presto pot from WalMart relatively inexpensive and that will eliminate the need for a double boiler.

I agree that it takes a lot of learning testing to become a real income, however, I disagree that it's just like soap. IMO learning to make candles was MUCH harder to perfect than soapmaking ever was.

Although these types of candles are fun, and a novelty, they really don't sell well. Also, they are harder to get the wicking perfected so it would be easier for a beginner to start with something a bit simpler such as a straight sided container candle. Get that down pat first and then venture into different novelty type pillar candles.
That's my advice anyway...
The candle making kit at hobby lobby and Joanns that melts the wax for you is the only one I could find. Searching online only shows modified pots. At Old Time Pottery today I bought a small crock pot that was on sale for $7.50, I just had a feeling. And I found several online pages about how to put the jar with wax flakes right into the crock pot and add boiling water to the pot and melt the wax right into the jars. I think I'm going to try this process and see how it goes. My one question is are most glassware and jars able to withstand the heat of boiling water?

The main issue with glassware is, unless it's designed for candles, they have a tendency to exhibit thermal shock. Basically the high temp of the lit wick and repeated hot/cold fluctuations can cause glass jars to crack. Part of why repeated testing is needed; in my experience lots of 'off the shelf' jars wont stand boiling water but it depends on the quality tbh.

My advice is similar to above, skip the kit and buy some wax and some wicks from a candle wholesaler and see how you get on.

I'm going to suggest that because you're an artist, perhaps you might want to try painted luminaries.
It's been years since I've made any but they're very easy to make and can be decorated or painted in numerous ways.

I had success with my first attempts. I can't paint anything but houses lol so I chose to use dried flowers from my garden.

You only need balloons, wax, and a creative spirit. So with balloons, wax, and your ability to paint, I'm thinking you'd do very well with luminaries. There is no curing and fragrances are not necessary. It's all about art.

Luminaries can give you a little experience working with wax temperatures as well as certain characteristics. I'm sure you'll find it's much easier and less expensive than candle making.

Oh, and people have used fragrances in luminaries, I never did so I cannot offer any guidance on that. I just know that it's optional.

Also, I'm not trying to discourage you from making candles. If that is what you want to do, I'm sure you'll find your way there no matter what any of us tell you lol because creative minds never give up or sleep.

I simply wanted to suggest something that 1) can be created with wax. 2) that will work better with your resources as well as your creative spirit.

Also, I'd love to see your artwork.😊 And if you choose to make luminaries I hope you'll share!

I was going to make a candle thread, but this one popped up and has a lot of useful info so we keep this going(?). I hope.

anyway, i was hoping to learn how to make candles. Like complimentary candles to my soaps. Especially since a lot of ppl make BnB products, but i cant with floridas laws as far as making and selling out of your house.

Is a kit the best way to start? TBH I havent even done a lot of reading yet. Which i will! I was thinking a kit. But then i am afraid it will be like the start of my soaping venture...I followed soap queen tutorials and projects in the beginning, which really left me clueless on why i was doing anything that i was doing. So i had to back up and actually learn.

OK stretch that out...once you make them what is so hard about getting them to burn? :oops:

There is no one recipe for a candle; there's no one size fits all.

Each part of a candle system changes how the candle works. The type of wax, the container, the wax, the temp you melt the wax, the temp you add the fragrance, and the temp you pour.

The wrong size or type of wick can cause all sorts of burn problems: burning too hot and dangerous, during too slowly and extinguishing itself, tunneling/melt pool problems, getting no scent throw from your expensive fragrance oil, soot and black smoke. (don't believe the myth that soy burns cleaner - it just makes a lighter color of soot under most conditions), you might have perfect burn at the first 1/3 of the candle, and it might be an inferno by the middle.

If you get a soy candle in a 3 inch tin to burn well with an eco 6 wick, with black raspberry vanilla - chances are the next fragrance you try will need a different wick to burn well.

Glass containers can burst, wicks can lean over in the wax and heat one side of the candle and break the glass, wicks can drown....etc.

Then, if you want to color your candles....!!!

I was going to make a candle thread, but this one popped up and has a lot of useful info so we keep this going(?). I hope.

anyway, i was hoping to learn how to make candles. Like complimentary candles to my soaps. Especially since a lot of ppl make BnB products, but i cant with floridas laws as far as making and selling out of your house.

Is a kit the best way to start? TBH I havent even done a lot of reading yet. Which i will! I was thinking a kit. But then i am afraid it will be like the start of my soaping venture...I followed soap queen tutorials and projects in the beginning, which really left me clueless on why i was doing anything that i was doing. So i had to back up and actually learn.

I am not an expert at all; I spend about 2 months out of every year (for the last 5 years) trying to make a good unscented, uncolored, crackling wood wick candle to work well....and still not there yet.

Candle making is different from soap - where you can buy Kevin Dunn's chemistry of soap making book and learn how all the rules that produce good soap. Candle making is trial and error. And good record keeping, patience. I don't have the personality for it - too many possibilities and combinations and I can't narrow them down to one or two and master those before moving on.

I don't see the benefit of buying a suppliers kit unless their kit has the exact vessels and wax you want to use. And honestly, some places (like Wood Wick Co.) the kits often don't give successful candles.

Now, the owner of BeScented has her Candle Academy; Candle Making University – BeScented Soap and Candle Making Supplies
where for a price, she tells you exactly what to use and how to do it. Although - there are things that still might work, but that's as close to a recipe that there is that I've seen. But it's one wax, one type of vessel and specific fragrances in order to make it work.

I am not an expert at all; I spend about 2 months out of every year (for the last 5 years) trying to make a good unscented, uncolored, crackling wood wick candle to work well....and still not there yet.

Candle making is different from soap - where you can buy Kevin Dunn's chemistry of soap making book and learn how all the rules that produce good soap. Candle making is trial and error. And good record keeping, patience. I don't have the personality for it - too many possibilities and combinations and I can't narrow them down to one or two and master those before moving on.

I don't see the benefit of buying a suppliers kit unless their kit has the exact vessels and wax you want to use. And honestly, some places (like Wood Wick Co.) the kits often don't give successful candles.

Now, the owner of BeScented has her Candle Academy; Candle Making University – BeScented Soap and Candle Making Supplies
where for a price, she tells you exactly what to use and how to do it. Although - there are things that still might work, but that's as close to a recipe that there is that I've seen. But it's one wax, one type of vessel and specific fragrances in order to make it work.
Very helpful. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back