I would like to *clone* a commercially produced soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's ingenious, @2buck , a great way of using a resource that would have otherwise been wasted. One further question and then I will finish hi-jacking this thread - how do you account for the type of oil when running your recipe through a lye calculator or do most of the types of oils you mentioned have a similar sap value?

That's ingenious, @2buck , a great way of using a resource that would have otherwise been wasted.
Yes, they used to throw the cubes of oil into the trash. One of my personal peeves is wasted food, and this oil still has life in it.
One further question and then I will finish hi-jacking this thread - how do you account for the type of oil when running your recipe through a lye calculator or do most of the types of oils you mentioned have a similar sap value?
We got a good recipe when we started, and it seems to work well with the oils we get. I looked up the sap values a few times, and they are pretty close. Looking at our recipe with a calculator, it looks a little low on the superfat, but in two and a half years, I have yet to get a tongue zap on a cured soap. (We have had a few batches so close, though, that we sold them as laundry soap.)

I would like to comment that there is also the option to "conversationally" list the ingredients of soap if desired. But it must be made clear to the consumer that it is not a formal ingredients list. In this instance, you may say things like "Saponified..." or whatever you prefer. But again, it must be obvious to the consumer that it is not a traditional ingredients list.

Back