I was out of lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
But rather than not make soap...

Screenshot_20180917-161911_Critical Weather.jpg
20180917_163845.jpg
20180917_164148.jpg
20180917_164205.jpg

20180917_164438.jpg

Sorry it was a bit of an ordeal for you.

Truth be told, I so jealous. I love rain and storms. But in dry California, get almost none.
One thunderstorm in 6 years, and it was puny. Honestly started watching the weather for Julian so I can try to drive up there and experience some real weather.

Sorry it was a bit of an ordeal for you.

Truth be told, I so jealous. I love rain and storms. But in dry California, get almost none.
One thunderstorm in 6 years, and it was puny. Honestly started watching the weather for Julian so I can try to drive up there and experience some real weather.
My aunt lives in So. Cal and she misses the storms too so when we get a good one here, I video tape it and send it to her.

I have never liked storms. Even when I was a kid/teenager, my mom would find me up during a night storm cleaning house or anything I could think of to distract me from the storm. I could never sleep through them like my sisters did. This became worse for me 17 years ago when I lived through a tornado - the house I was in was picked up an blown into a field 1/4 of a mile away. Now I deal with anxiety and panic attacks when the thunder starts. We had a storm come in yesterday morning - a fast one that made a bunch of noise and dumped half an inch of rain in 20 minutes, fortunately my office mates have (finally) understood that this type of weather is not easy for me, and were able to keep me distracted through most of it, at least I wasn't hiding under the desk. Another storm rolled through during the night, so I was wandering the house most of the night. If I hadn't been so tired I would have just made soap, it's hard to hear storms in the soap lab with the fan and dehumidifier running as well as its location in the basement... but I've learned my lesson about soapmaking when I can't sleep but am still exhausted: It doesn't go well for the soap.

I was in a tornado as a child but my house was not picked up so I cannot even imagine. I do have a 3" scar on my leg from glass from a broken window that blew in when my mom was running with us downstairs.

Today, I enjoy watching storms.

Bridges over water do the same thing to me as storms do to you. Got stuck on one during a tornado when i was 5 and the bridge was bouncing and swaying like it was made out of rubber while the adults fought over which child would get the only life jacket in the car (2 families) The 35w bridge was also my way home. I had one of those last second decisions prior to its collapse that spared me.

Yeah the time that I left work I would have been sitting smack dab in the middle of that bridge when it collapsed. Traffic was really slow going that direction that day so at the last second I took a right instead of a left and went another way. I will never forget my kids rushing out of the house when they heard me pull up.All of the cell towers were jammed so nobody could reach me to find out if I was OK. The next day driving into work I had to cross another bridge and I was terrified and at the end of that bridge the ramp to go on to the 35W bridge simply said road closed ahead and I remember of thinking road closed? Road gone.

Back