I was impaitent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalisk

Reaction score
I was wanting to make soap so I went to walmart and bought Castor in a tiny jar for 3 bucks and this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-Of-The-Earth-Aloe-Vera-Juice-With-99.8-Aloe-1-gal/10314798 I am 99% on the Castor oil working but this stuff should work too right? :)

I was poking around for goats milk too (Room mate request) but all I could find was powdered with all sorts of extra crap in it that I didnt know what it was so had no desire to put it in a soap.

Last edited:
I have always wanted to add aloe Vera to my soaps but I'm very scared of how much or what kind (juice or gel) I would love for someone that has done it to give us info on this or if you decide to take a whack at it let me know how it goes!! :)

You can use juice. Make sure to subtract from total liquids though and add at trace. You really won't notice a difference with it. Its not like a huge oh wow! That's awesome! Response to the aloe vera.

True!

Hrm, My room mate has soap making colors from michaels (I have NO idea why :p) \o/

Maybe tonight if not tonight, tomarrow morning fo sho it is 1:30 am after all :Kitten Love:

I will be sure to send pictures :D

Colorants you may already have

Take 1 oz of paprika(regular, not smoked). Put it into any old glass jar with a lid. Pour 8 oz liquid oil that is going into your soap. Place the jar, loosely covered with the lid, into a pan with a dishcloth or jar ring between the jar and the bottom of the pot. Fill pan with enough water to come halfway up the jar. Heat on the stove til you get a slow boil, then turn down to simmer. Wait 30 min. Turn the heat off. Let it set til cool enough to handle. Pour colored oil into another container of some sort without shaking it up.

Substitute out anywhere from 1-3 oz PPO for the liquid oil in the soap.(if you used olive oil, substitute it out for the olive oil in the recipe) Depending on how much you use, you can get anywhere from a light lemon yellow to a dark spice cake type color.

You can also use 1 tablespoon cocoa PPO, for a dark, rich brown.

Leftover frozen coffee substituted out for water gives a light latte type color in soap.

I understand, though I have never tried it, that parsley or spinach blended with oil and strained will give a nice green.(I could be wrong here, verify before trying.)

If you have any food colors, there is a video on YouTube about using them.

I have always wanted to add aloe Vera to my soaps but I'm very scared of how much or what kind (juice or gel) I would love for someone that has done it to give us info on this or if you decide to take a whack at it let me know how it goes!! :)

I did juice and the fresh kind. Partial liquid swap. I put it to the oils before lye, and sb till both mixed nicely.

I just unmold a batch i did last night using fresh aloe chunks. Will post cut pics later on. It's a lemongrass dead sea mud.

If you have access to fresh aloe, then by all means, use it. If not, the commercially made juice will also do. Not sure about gel, as it may have other ingredients in it.

I've always used AV juice as the liquid or partial liquid for my soaps :) I figured if nothing else it looks good to the customer!

Take 1 oz of paprika(regular, not smoked). Put it into any old glass jar with a lid. Pour 8 oz liquid oil that is going into your soap. Place the jar, loosely covered with the lid, into a pan with a dishcloth or jar ring between the jar and the bottom of the pot. Fill pan with enough water to come halfway up the jar. Heat on the stove til you get a slow boil, then turn down to simmer. Wait 30 min. Turn the heat off. Let it set til cool enough to handle. Pour colored oil into another container of some sort without shaking it up.

Substitute out anywhere from 1-3 oz PPO for the liquid oil in the soap.(if you used olive oil, substitute it out for the olive oil in the recipe) Depending on how much you use, you can get anywhere from a light lemon yellow to a dark spice cake type color.

You can also use 1 tablespoon cocoa PPO, for a dark, rich brown.

Leftover frozen coffee substituted out for water gives a light latte type color in soap.

I understand, though I have never tried it, that parsley or spinach blended with oil and strained will give a nice green.(I could be wrong here, verify before trying.)

If you have any food colors, there is a video on YouTube about using them.
How would you add paprika oil to just a portion of you soap batter? I would like to split the soap in half and only color half. I have the infused oil just not sure how to add it to half the soap batter.

You can't. You either have to use that as the color of the whole batch, or make two batches with different colors.

Thank you Susie, I thought about that (making 2 half batches) after I commented.

"...How would you add paprika oil to just a portion of you soap batter?..."

Let's say you want to use 100 g of paprika infused olive oil in 1/2 of your soap. The way I'd do it is this:

Calculate a soap recipe that calls for twice that amount -- 200 g -- of olive as part of the oils. Figure the lye amount needed based on the ENTIRE recipe including all the olive, just like you normally would.

Measure all of your fats EXCEPT for 200 g of olive into your main soap pot. You're going to make a basic plain batter out of the oils in your soap pot.

Measure 100 g of paprika infused olive into a separate cup. Measure 100 g of plain olive into a second cup. Set both cups aside for a moment.

Make the lye solution required to saponify the oils in your entire recipe, including the olive in your two cups. Add all of this lye solution to your soap pot and emulsify the batter, but don't go too far into trace. Divide the batter into two equal halves -- each half in a separate container.

Add the paprika infused olive to one half of the batter. Add the plain olive to the other half. Do your swirl or other decorative work with the two portions. When you put everything back together, you have the right amount of lye, water, and oil to saponify properly. You just put all the ingredients together in an unusual way.

Okay ... so it's theoretically possible to do this. ~~Would~~ I do it? If I really, really wanted to, yes, but I'd want to be super sparkly alert and thinking real straight when I did it, though. Lots of room for making a goof-up! :)

Oooh, this sounds like good fun. I would also have to be ''alert'' too. Good instructions, I don't know how I could possibly mess up :p especially after my shampoo bar morning. Ha!
I do like the natural colorants too. I just bought parsley so that will be an experiment since I've never tried it before.
I already bought a gallon of aloe vera juice :?: but need to study it more here. Thank you all for your posts.

How would you add paprika oil to just a portion of you soap batter? I would like to split the soap in half and only color half. I have the infused oil just not sure how to add it to half the soap batter.

I have used paprika directly into soap and swirled that into the base soap. I poured out some of the soap before trace and hand stirred in the paprika. It worked great, it will probably be a bit more speckled than oil infusion.

Latest posts

Back