I want to up my color game. What is out there?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyerod

Reaction score
Been making CP for a long time but have usually gone without color, used some oxides or used natural colorants. I was interested in using some vibrant colors but don't know what is out there for that. I will be doing my own research but figured I'd ask the folks who already know as well. My wife about killed me when I used to much oxide powder and ruined a few wash cloths so color that won't run or stain would be preferred.

Now dont "quote me" But I do believe in most micas if used to much' can transfer to washcloths & such. But if you want a Vibrant Lasting Color Choose the " NEON'S Colors"
Happy Soaping.

When I want to test colors I get a theme pack from Brambleberry. They have things like “Christmas,” “earth tones,” or “neon” with testing and reviews to confirm color transfer. You can buy whatever color strikes your fancy separately If you’d prefer.

Other companies have their own version of sample packs, I just tend to use Brambleberry and like their selection. (I also don’t soap very often so a sample pack can last a few years if I don’t make large/complicated batches)

Your name does not say if you are in the U.S or not but Nurture Soaps and Mad Micas are some of the more well known companies in the U.S. They both have an incredible array of colors and testing notes and pictures showing what the colors look like after saponification. Nurture Soaps has free shipping after 35$ and their shipping times are way better than Brambleberry.

Ditto on @BattleGnome. I too buy sample packs from Bramble Berry and as a hobbyist, they last a long time. I like to try a small amount before spending money on large amounts. Big fan of micas because I can just dump them in my batter (I'm lazy that way). I always gel too for good colors. Gotta keep your wife happy!

Been making CP for a long time but have usually gone without color, used some oxides or used natural colorants. I was interested in using some vibrant colors but don't know what is out there for that. I will be doing my own research but figured I'd ask the folks who already know as well. My wife about killed me when I used to much oxide powder and ruined a few wash cloths so color that won't run or stain would be preferred.

Keith, if you are still in Colorado or at least the continental US (your intro from 2012), then there are many options open to you for micas at reasonable shipping rates.

Vibrant colors are absolutely possible with neons as BattleGnome mentions. And I've experienced no color bleeding.

For micas, I use and like: Micas & More, Mad Micas, Nurture Soaps, BrambleBerry, but for neons, I've only used Micas & More, however I am sure you'll find anyone's neons just as satisfying. Although BB doesn't list any *neons (by label) on their website, but they do have some; the others I listed sell them also.

One suggestion: Don't go overboard buying variations of the same shade of micas. A basic set of primary colors, plus a white & a black, is good, because you can actually mix to create your own shades if so desired.

Nurture Soap's owner, Carry did a whole class on mixing micas to create shades and I think she has a link on the site with some information on how to get consistent results. Ah, here we go: Color Blender Not what I thought I remembered, but it works.

ETA: * BB's neons are still listed, but not by name as Neons. Electric Bubblegum and Tangerine Wow are neons, as they have polyester in the ingredients. I just used both in soap yesterday and thought, 'these look like neons - why are they called neons on the label?' Today I looked them up on the BB website, and yes, they are the same neons mentioned by Amy Warden in her video on colorants. (see video in post # 9 below).

Last edited:
One suggestion: Don't go overboard buying variations of the same shade of micas. A basic set of primary colors, plus a white & a black, is good, because you can actually mix to create your own shades if so desired.
I wish someone had told me this a year ago—would have saved me a lot of $. It’s excellent advice and advice that doesn’t get passed along in these forums. I no longer buy several shades of colors. Black oxide is great to darken colors’ shades. And a little goes a long way.

So tell me - these neons I see are not micas, they are described thus:
Non Bleeding and will not change color.
The small particle size keeps the powder from clumping, clogging mesh screens or mottling in printing.

Light Fast and resistant to heat.

Resin Polyester 3 (Proprietary): 98.8%

Pigment Red #7 1.2%

pH: Between 6-9%

Particle Size: 1-2 Microns

Is this what y'all are using over there in the US? Do I use them in approx the same quantities as i would mica? Do they need blending in a bit of oil first?

I might give them a go.

So tell me - these neons I see are not micas, they are described thus:
Non Bleeding and will not change color.
The small particle size keeps the powder from clumping, clogging mesh screens or mottling in printing.

Light Fast and resistant to heat.

Resin Polyester 3 (Proprietary): 98.8%

Pigment Red #7 1.2%

pH: Between 6-9%

Particle Size: 1-2 Microns

Is this what y'all are using over there in the US? Do I use them in approx the same quantities as i would mica? Do they need blending in a bit of oil first?

I might give them a go.
I mostly use micas, but I do have about 4 neons that I like to use now and then as well. I do disperse them in oil ahead of time, but I do this because it has become my practice with colorants. They can probably be mixed directly into the soap batter, but I've just learned to pre-mix. I have also pre-mixed them in glycerine. I have not tried pre-mixing in water, because I rarely use water for mixing my colorants. The color intensity is greater in the neons, so I don't really need to use as much for extremely intense color. The first soap I made using Glitzy Green Neon (Micas & More) practically glows and the color has not faded.

ETA: Re usage rates for Neons vs other Colorants (For neons go to 04:19 time, that's where she starts talking about mixing neons.)

I edited my post above as regards BB's neons, which Amy mentions in this video.

Last edited:
For micas, I use and like: Micas & More, Mad Micas, Nurture Soaps, BrambleBerry, but for neons, I've only used Micas & More, however I am sure you'll find anyone's neons just as satisfying. Although BB doesn't list any *neons (by label) on their website, but they do have some; the others I listed sell them also.

Just emailed Nurture about what they consider their base color micas are. I will be placing an order soon. I look forward to checking these out. I am not quite ready for neons yet from what I see. Maybe soon though.

Thanks everyone for all the great information.

Latest posts

Back