I want to try pumpkins....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_like_melts

Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of adding pumpkin flakes to a base for color and as a mild exfoliate. Would that be considered a cosmetic then?

Either way, I kind of want to try it because I think the results would be pretty. (If it would push it into a cosmetic category, I would just have it for personal use) About how much can one safely add to a melt and pour?

I’d start with a tsp or less per pound. You might be able to go up to a tbsp but I’ve never even heard of pumpkin flakes before this post. If you do try it keep an eye out for mold as you use the bar and the pumpkin starts to rehydrate. The rehydrating/mold potential would give me reason to rethink using the flakes but that one is up to you.

Adding an exfoliant does not make a soap into a cosmetic (as far as I know). If you were considering selling with the pumpkin flakes I would do a bunch of testing. Who knows if a customer leaves their soap in a puddle of water, the pumpkin would definitely be germ food in that case

I’d start with a tsp or less per pound. You might be able to go up to a tbsp but I’ve never even heard of pumpkin flakes before this post. If you do try it keep an eye out for mold as you use the bar and the pumpkin starts to rehydrate. The rehydrating/mold potential would give me reason to rethink using the flakes but that one is up to you.

Adding an exfoliant does not make a soap into a cosmetic (as far as I know). If you were considering selling with the pumpkin flakes I would do a bunch of testing. Who knows if a customer leaves their soap in a puddle of water, the pumpkin would definitely be germ food in that case

Thank you! I would be producing within the next few weeks and releasing sometime around late September/October. I'm trying to get in the habit of doing seasonal "lines" (If you can call 4 or 5 different kinds a line) with a little crossover between them. (I produce on a small scale - so 1 to 2 lb at a time and have a very small following atm, most of my stuff is custom, but people ask for ready made stuff on occasion)

My point is that this method will allow me time to experiment with designs, molds, additives, ect. I also use my own products, so I can see first-hand how they respond to water, how long they last, what they look like a few months later, ect.

From what I've read, pumpkin is usually in CP or HP soaps.

My understanding is that the claims you make matter. You can't call your soap anti-bacterial, healing. You can add ingredients reputed to do that. I'm not though if the word "exfoliate" is one of those words.

If you label it as a cosmetic, exfoliating is fine to claim (check with the FDA, though, to be certain)

It's labeled as a cosmetic, but I am trying to avoid having to register it as one and keeping it in the "soap" category. I'm in FL, so if it's a "cosmetic" it needs to be produced in a separate facility.

Thats also a good point - I may just label it and avoid the word "exfoliate." The pumpkin could easily pass as being there for decorative purposes, even though it functions as both.

Adding food to MP soap base can be problematic, from what I have read. So the pumpkin puree is not really an option if you use MP.

I also have not heard of pumpkin flakes. Where do you buy those and what are they usually used for?

Adding food to MP soap base can be problematic, from what I have read. So the pumpkin puree is not really an option if you use MP.

I also have not heard of pumpkin flakes. Where do you buy those and what are they usually used for?

WSP has some dried flakes, exfoliation/decoration in this case :)

Back