I want to try CPOP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
From what I've researched, you make your normal CP soap, pour it in your mold, and instead of insulating, put your mold in an oven set at 170 for an hour, then turn off the oven and let the soap sit overnight, or 10-12 hours.

One thing I haven't been able to find, or perhaps didn't search right - should you spray with alcohol and cover with cling wrap to avoid ashing - or does CPOP not cause ash? Or is it wishful thinking on my part?

You can also do CPOP using just the heat from the oven light. Have the light on for 5-6 hrs, then turn it off and let the mold/s sit another 5-6 in the oven. This way you don't need to worry whether a plastic mold might melt. I usually do 1# batches in individual plastic molds. Sometimes I cover with a lid, other times not. Sometimes there is ash, sometimes there is not. I haven't got that figured out yet. But regular log or slab molds would work with the method, too.

I might try the light thing or oven on/preheated and then off when I put in my soaps. I cover with wax paper and put my wood cover on top. Not actually touching the soap and I have no problem with ash. I do have an overheating problem and right now an hour would be too much with the heat on.

I give my CPOP a spritz of alcohol and put saran on top . I preheat the oven to 170 and turn it off when I put the mold in . I leave it overnight .

HTH

Kitn

Remember too, if you are putting honey or milk in your soap it will heat up quick and hotter. Good luck...can't wait to see it.

Thanks for all the replies - I decided to spritz and wrap with saran. It's in the oven now till tomorrow a.m.

Funny you mentioned honey - yesterday I made an oatmeal and honey loaf - did not put it in the oven - spritzed and covered with saran then covered with a light towel. It is a wood mold, but no cover. I unwrapped today and it turned out nice. I took pics, but my hubby went fishing and took the camera. He does CPR whenever he fishes - catch, photo, and release. I have TONS of pictures of fish.

Back