I Want to Get Back into the Swing of Things

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
But I have one issue- carpal tunnel. It's part of the reason I've been on and off here as of late. It started really flaring up a month or two after I started my job and I've had to get myself all kinds of crap just to ease the pain enough to keep working. But I've been wanting to make soap for months.

My problem is how I can go about making soap again. I'm afraid I might drop my stoneware with soap batter in it but using my crockpot is the easiest thing for me. I still have my individual molds and I have a funnel pitcher as well. Should I look into taking a different approach for soaping? Do any of you have carpal tunnel? If so, have any of you had the surgery? I'm leaning on avoiding that like the plague.

I have one of these that I use as needed -- might help?
https://tinyurl.com/Futuro-Wrist-Stabilizer
I also make a product we use that helps provide relief from pain of carpel tunnel, runner's knee, tennis elbow, neck pain, lower back pain, and the like. PM me if interested.

That being said, I've had to cut back on making large batches. Instead of using my 16 bar wood mold, that requires 60 oz. oils, I use 30 oz. oils, an 8-cup Pyrex, microwave, and WSP's 1501 silicone mold X 2 and get 16 bars, cut 1" thick.

ETA: Link to mold: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/store-search.aspx?FBK=Mold+1501

HTH
Wave.gif

If you HP, try doing it in a SS pot IN THE OVEN.
Pot is Much lighter!!!! Not as easy to tilt if it is tall like mine.
I have Tennis Elbow, so gripping can be a pain sometimes.

BenGay works really well for me, but not for everyone

@Zany_in_CO -Thank you for the offer but I have found that topicals do little for me. I bought a little jar of Penetrix and used up half of it withing the first 2 or 3 weeks of owning it. I have also found that sticking to eating meat and B vitamin rich foods helped though.

@Lin My oven is pretty small. I'm not sure how that would pan out but I didn't thing about the SS pot too much. I tend to stick with cooking in those things

I have deQuervain's (around the corner from carpal but similar idea). I tend to make small batches, about 950 grams of oil, at a time, not too heavy. I don't find that soaping bothers me too much. I have a brace but it hinders my mobility and my husband "borrows" it when he's working (he's a gardener).

My mom got the surgery and it has changed her life - in a good way! She says she really didn't realize now much she'd lost until it afterward. Find yourself a HAND DOCTOR - not a general orthopedist - if you decide to get the surgery.

Arimara, I don't currently have issues with carpal tunnel, but have in the past. Never had the surgery, although my best friend, a computer programmer, did have surgery on both wrists and the result was marvelous for him.

I do however, have an old skiing injury that makes gripping with my right thumb problematic and also have Dupeytren's which also creates gripping issues, as well as advancing age contributing to generally reduced strength. So I empathize!

For me lifting heavy containers of soap batter is not easy, so I try to keep my batches small. When I do use my large soaping crock pot to melt oils or make HP (I don't use it as often as I used to) I don't lift it when it is full. I use a scoop of some sort (a ladle or a measuring cup) to scoop soap batter out. When I travel I use a smaller crockpot which is easier to lift for melting oils. Even so, I use silicone hot pads and carefully lift only above a safe surface and don't walk with a full container.

Maybe a smaller crockpot, smaller batches, a ladle or something along those lines would help. Maybe just moving your work station around a little bit so you won't have to lift the stoneware when it is full.

@dixiedragon A hand doctor would be great to find. I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

@earlene my crockpot is a 1.5qt. I don't think I could get much small than that. :D Truth be told, I have quite a few issues going on and the people in my life who have had the surgery were on the flipside of the results. That said, I have to wait a bit until I can really consider it.

Ditch the crock pot - they are heavy! Are you cp'ing at all? If not, start. I use a very light weight plastic bowl with a handle and spout to mix my batter in. Dollar store variety.

I have problems in both hands and one elbow, and wonder what's still in store. Starting last month, I've had partial numbness in my R pinkie and ring finger, which best I can tell is cubital tunnel. That's better than pain. I'm pretty sure my problem is the way I sleep and bad computer ergonomics.

You said this started with your new job. I encourage you to figure out the exact cause, and remedy that as your long term solution.

In the past, I had numbness and some burning in my thumb and hand. I though I had carpal tunnel, but tried a good Chiropractor. It took a while, but he got me back in shape. I now use a water pillow, to prevent misalginment, nerve irritation and compression in my neck. The treatment included ultrasound therapy. I am not saying that this is your problem, but it won't hurt to have it checked out.

I have Carpal Tunnel...am getting to where I can't fight having surgery any longer. Steroid injections bought me a few years. My mom and husband have both had surgery and are happy with the results totally. My hand surgeon told me this fall was my time. I don't have a problem making soap though. I don't generally lift heavy pans. I have a large spoon/ladle that I scoop the soap out to separate for colors & scents and work with smaller pitchers.

Like lsg, chiropractic care, in conjunction with a regimen of very specific stretches & exercises, has done very well for me. With me (as with lsg, from the looks of it) it was a case of nerve irritation originating from a pinched nerve in my neck, compounded by muscles compensating for each other, i.e., my lower arms, through much time spent typing on the computer, playing the piano, and/or doing other tasks that don't involve a lot of shoulder/arm/hand muscle engagement working together as a whole, balanced unit (i.e., way too much time spent with isolated, below-the-elbow movements), caused things to get out of whack and cause stress in my wrists, which in turn caused burning and pain there.

In case it helps anyone that might be in the same kind of boat as I found myself in, the two books that have been a Godsend to me where the specific stretches and exercises that I do are concerned (which have resulted in complete pain elimination for me without pain-killers or surgery) are these, 'Health Through Motion' and 'Pain Free', both by physiologist Pete Egoscue.

IrishLass :)

Ditch the crock pot - they are heavy! Are you cp'ing at all? If not, start. I use a very light weight plastic bowl with a handle and spout to mix my batter in. Dollar store variety.

I have problems in both hands and one elbow, and wonder what's still in store. Starting last month, I've had partial numbness in my R pinkie and ring finger, which best I can tell is cubital tunnel. That's better than pain. I'm pretty sure my problem is the way I sleep and bad computer ergonomics.

You said this started with your new job. I encourage you to figure out the exact cause, and remedy that as your long term solution.

I've done the bulk of my soaps via CP. The Crockpot just allowed test out some HP recipes. Also, I've been at this job for almost a year. Within that time, I've learned a few stretches to do that help. I can't do all of them at work however. I've also managed to get some cheapie ergonomic items from Amazon. The best purchase I made were THESE babies (my coworkers were eyeing them and I told them were to go.)

In the past, I had numbness and some burning in my thumb and hand. I though I had carpal tunnel, but tried a good Chiropractor. It took a while, but he got me back in shape. I now use a water pillow, to prevent misalginment, nerve irritation and compression in my neck. The treatment included ultrasound therapy. I am not saying that this is your problem, but it won't hurt to have it checked out.

A chiropractor sounds promising. So far I've take a few steps to minimize pain. Will explain a little more soon.

I have Carpal Tunnel...am getting to where I can't fight having surgery any longer. Steroid injections bought me a few years. My mom and husband have both had surgery and are happy with the results totally. My hand surgeon told me this fall was my time. I don't have a problem making soap though. I don't generally lift heavy pans. I have a large spoon/ladle that I scoop the soap out to separate for colors & scents and work with smaller pitchers.

I have an enameled 3qt dutch oven that I know regret buying. At least I'm out $20 when you think about it.:D

B complex and non-flushing Niacin have worked wonders in our house.
Were are both over the hill, retired and DW has put her brace in storage. If we stop the vitamins the problem returns.

I'm still not pain free but it's a BUNCH better.

I stick to eating meat, truth be told. I also am trying to up my veggie intake a little more. I've noticed that when I eat right for me, I'm in a lot less pain.

Like lsg, chiropractic care, in conjunction with a regimen of very specific stretches & exercises, has done very well for me. With me (as with lsg, from the looks of it) it was a case of nerve irritation originating from a pinched nerve in my neck, compounded by muscles compensating for each other, i.e., my lower arms, through much time spent typing on the computer, playing the piano, and/or doing other tasks that don't involve a lot of shoulder/arm/hand muscle engagement working together as a whole, balanced unit (i.e., way too much time spent with isolated, below-the-elbow movements), caused things to get out of whack and cause stress in my wrists, which in turn caused burning and pain there.

In case it helps anyone that might be in the same kind of boat as I found myself in, the two books that have been a Godsend to me where the specific stretches and exercises that I do are concerned (which have resulted in complete pain elimination for me without pain-killers or surgery) are these, 'Health Through Motion' and 'Pain Free', both by physiologist Pete Egoscue.

IrishLass :)

I am always stretching. I admit I do have a cream that I know works (I used it on my knee and that pain was gone for the rest of the day) but I have to credit that product for cluing me into the possibility that I might be having more nerve pain than muscle pain.

Thank you all for your tips. Little by little, I may replace a few things and see if I can customize a few of my tools but I do hope I can make some more soap soon. These fragrance oils aren't using themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists since 1986. I had surgery on my right in 1999 when I could no longer hold a pen or count a pulse. It was the best thing I have ever done. Surgery took 8 minutes, I was not knocked out (my request, as I am a nurse, and nothing in there scares me), no recovery room. Back home within an hour of surgery. No pain meds except Motrin. Full function and sensation within 24 hours. Sutures out in 6 days (I am a fast healer.) I did not have surgery in my left as it was not so severe that I had to have the surgery.

Using splints is a great idea. But you have to use them at least a week to get the inflammation down. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

Ask around to get recommendations for a surgeon. My surgeon was a plastic surgeon that also did hand and wrists. My sister-in-law's recovery from a different surgeon took weeks. Mine took hours. Surgeons are super important to having a good outcome.

Whatever you do, do NOT let them do both wrists at the same time! You have to be able to do your daily activities.

Latest posts

Back