I want it to be purple, grrr

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use sandalwood red powder, to make my lavender CP soap. Since I have gotten this powder, I dont get purple. Is to much to much or a little is better?

Sandelwood red powder.jpg

I think this is going to be one of those "hit or miss" cases like most natural colorants. I just used alkanet in my lavender EO soap and got a purple/grey color without the speckles in it that I quite like. You may want to look into alkanet root powder for a natural purple color. I've read you also need a very white base to get the best purple color. The yellower your base is, the more off your purple color will be.

Heres a thread I found on the forum about sandalwood powder:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=29975&page=2

Here is my soap with alkanet, I was pleased enough with it:

IMG_1813.jpg

I agree with galaxy about alkanet root powder, especially if you're looking for a natural colorant. In higher concentrations, you can get a really nice, deep purple. If you're ok with a synthetic colorant, I find that lavender ultramarines never let me down.

I think this is going to be one of those "hit or miss" cases like most natural colorants. I just used alkanet in my lavender EO soap and got a purple/grey color without the speckles in it that I quite like. You may want to look into alkanet root powder for a natural purple color. I've read you also need a very white base to get the best purple color. The yellower your base is, the more off your purple color will be.

I just saw this, thanks

I agree with galaxy about alkanet root powder, especially if you're looking for a natural colorant. In higher concentrations, you can get a really nice, deep purple. If you're ok with a synthetic colorant, I find that lavender ultramarines never let me down.
I going to most likely turn to ultramarines. Where do you buy yours?

I like your purple color. That is what I am trying to get.

I love alkanet! Definitely give it a shot. It does crazy things and morphs while mixing, but in my experience always ends up purple within a few days of cutting

With ultramarine purple, do you have to add quite a lot (as compared with ultramarine blue) to get a decent color?

I get a nice light to medium blue with a modest amount of UM blue, but more of a lavender gray with about the same amount of UM violet. And it seems as if the UM violet starts out more lavender in the batter, but gets more gray as the soap cures.

I've only tried these two colors a few times. I look forward to using the blue again, and am beginning to cringe about using the violet. Is it me or is it soap gremlins? :mrgreen:

For a true lavender shade, I found the matte lavender oxide from BA to be very effective in smaller quantities. I will post a pic later.

Love the purple that TBandCW got.

If you're not adverse to micas, the purple vibrance from Nurture is no-fail. I also like MO Harold's Purple Crayon (I think it might be the same as Nurture Orchid). That makes a fantastic darker hue.

I use sandalwood powder quite often although specifically for coloring and have never had it turn purple. Alkanet has never given me anything other than gray and the same goes for Indigo
What color do your get when you use it? Is it the color you are looking for or does it turn on you?

Back