I want it to be purple, grrr

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use sandalwood red powder, to make my lavender CP soap. Since I have gotten this powder, I dont get purple. Is to much to much or a little is better?

Sandelwood red powder.jpg

galaxyMLP

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is going to be one of those "hit or miss" cases like most natural colorants. I just used alkanet in my lavender EO soap and got a purple/grey color without the speckles in it that I quite like. You may want to look into alkanet root powder for a natural purple color. I've read you also need a very white base to get the best purple color. The yellower your base is, the more off your purple color will be.

Heres a thread I found on the forum about sandalwood powder:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=29975&page=2

Here is my soap with alkanet, I was pleased enough with it:

IMG_1813.jpg

SplendorSoaps

Reaction score
I agree with galaxy about alkanet root powder, especially if you're looking for a natural colorant. In higher concentrations, you can get a really nice, deep purple. If you're ok with a synthetic colorant, I find that lavender ultramarines never let me down.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use sandalwood powder quite often although specifically for coloring and have never had it turn purple. Alkanet has never given me anything other than gray and the same goes for Indigo

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is going to be one of those "hit or miss" cases like most natural colorants. I just used alkanet in my lavender EO soap and got a purple/grey color without the speckles in it that I quite like. You may want to look into alkanet root powder for a natural purple color. I've read you also need a very white base to get the best purple color. The yellower your base is, the more off your purple color will be.

I just saw this, thanks

I agree with galaxy about alkanet root powder, especially if you're looking for a natural colorant. In higher concentrations, you can get a really nice, deep purple. If you're ok with a synthetic colorant, I find that lavender ultramarines never let me down.
I going to most likely turn to ultramarines. Where do you buy yours?

I like your purple color. That is what I am trying to get.

KristaMarie

Reaction score
I love alkanet! Definitely give it a shot. It does crazy things and morphs while mixing, but in my experience always ends up purple within a few days of cutting

DeeAnna

Reaction score
With ultramarine purple, do you have to add quite a lot (as compared with ultramarine blue) to get a decent color?

I get a nice light to medium blue with a modest amount of UM blue, but more of a lavender gray with about the same amount of UM violet. And it seems as if the UM violet starts out more lavender in the batter, but gets more gray as the soap cures.

I've only tried these two colors a few times. I look forward to using the blue again, and am beginning to cringe about using the violet. Is it me or is it soap gremlins? :mrgreen:

kumudini

Reaction score
For a true lavender shade, I found the matte lavender oxide from BA to be very effective in smaller quantities. I will post a pic later.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the purple that TBandCW got.

If you're not adverse to micas, the purple vibrance from Nurture is no-fail. I also like MO Harold's Purple Crayon (I think it might be the same as Nurture Orchid). That makes a fantastic darker hue.

SplendorSoaps

Reaction score
I going to most likely turn to ultramarines. Where do you buy yours?
I've been getting the lavender ultramarines through WSP.

Just a side note...stay away from "manganese violet" because it will morph into a greyish color rather than a purple. I know because I made that mistake 3 separate times!

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use sandalwood powder quite often although specifically for coloring and have never had it turn purple. Alkanet has never given me anything other than gray and the same goes for Indigo
What color do your get when you use it? Is it the color you are looking for or does it turn on you?

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love alkanet too! Infused in oil. View attachment 20092
Wow! I am going to switch! That is a beautiful color. So how did you infuse? What oil did you use and how much? Did you infuse for a few hours/days? Sorry about the questions, but your color is beautiful. Is the alkanet a powder?

Last edited:

Spice

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my purple I mix 2 tea ultraviolet blue and 1 tea electric bubble gum from BB mixed in with a little glycerin for 2 lbs gm soap. WSP also has similar pigment colors.
This is beautiful too! I feel as if I been buried under some rock!:sick: