I wanna soap!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savvynurse

Reaction score
Ok I want to make one of those wonderful salt bars I've been reading about.. But no specialty salt I. Hand. Can I use the coarse sea Salk liked buy at Wally World ( Walmart) or do I just need to suck it up and wait for the next time I order to get some "good stuff"?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I've used coarse sea salt from the grocery store with no problems.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Soap Making mobile app

Dear Savvynurse,

Can you please share your salt soap receipt
and picture?
I am interested in making one.
Thanks
Mazsola

I'm going to use the 100% co with 20% SF. I have some Caribbean coconut fo was going to use for scent but just might change that when I get to making it

I have used fine sea salt also with dendritic and also the himilayan.

Fine sea salt should be at Walmart. I bought it online there by the case with free ship so imagine so stores should stock it?

The particle size is more important, IMO, than the type of salt. I use plain canning salt (basically table salt without added iodine) because that is what I have on hand in larger quantities. Table salt or inexpensive sea salt would be fine too, IMO. Some people don't like the coarser salts because they are overly scratchy. I personally don't plan to use the fancier, more expensive salts -- I don't think they offer any benefits besides label appeal.

That's what I was thinking DeeAnna that the bigger prices would be way too rough. Am gonna salt at 70% of weights of oils.... Am only going to make a 2 lb batch so 1.4 lbs of salt and going to so half coarse sea slt and half pickling salt that I have in cabinet

I have used fine sea salt also with dendritic and also the himilayan.

Fine sea salt should be at Walmart. I bought it online there by the case with free ship so imagine so stores should stock it?

Curious about what qualities the dendritic might have added to your soaps? I use dendritic in all of my bath salts, but wouldn't have thought to use it in salt soap. Cool idea if it adds something special!

I usually use the fine-grained variety of various salts, but have also used course grain, and liked both.

It has a better 'surface' area than most other salts so it retains Fragrance and colors better as you likely know. :) just helps to keep the scent in better over time.
I added fragrance directly to it at the beginning and then put it in the mix at the usual
Time.

It has a better 'surface' area than most other salts so it retains Fragrance and colors better as you likely know. :) just helps to keep the scent in better over time.
I added fragrance directly to it at the beginning and then put it in the mix at the usual
Time.

I think that might be brilliant! :) Will have to try it and see what I think.

You seem to be creative with common sense on other ideas for known ingredient qualities :)

Back