I used GM and sugar :grin:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skatergirl46

Soaper on wheels
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to learn to make GM soap so I decided to make a small batch (2 pounds). I used half water and half GM. I added the lye to the water, added the sugar, and then added the mixture to the oils. I added the GM as soon as the lye water and oils were mixed. I was careful not to let the soap get too hot so it would stay a nice light creamy color. Thank you Ruthie for telling me how to test for doneness with my fingers! When it was creamy instead of grainy I zap tested it, and no zap. My FO didn't seem to affect the process much. I used
1 oz. of BB Ginger Lime FO. I put it into the freezer for a while and unmolded it a few hours later. I'm happy with the result. The bars are a nice creamy color and they smell good. It has nice bubbles already. I always scrape my crockpot to get the little bit of soap that's left so I can try it. :D I'm impatient like that.

Maybe someday I'll try using all GM for my liquid. :Kitten Love:

Looks nice and creamy! How did you keep it from getting too hot in a crockpot? Is a low setting low enough to keep it from cooking too much? I'll have to read that thread to learn how to test for doneness. BTW what mold did you use? Sorry for all the questions but I like how yours came out and would love to give it a try.

Looks nice and creamy! How did you keep it from getting too hot in a crockpot? Is a low setting low enough to keep it from cooking too much? I'll have to read that thread to learn how to test for doneness. BTW what mold did you use? Sorry for all the questions but I like how yours came out and would love to give it a try.

I had my crockpot on warm while the hard oils melted. I let the lye water cool until it was around 85. I put the sugar into my lye water after it had cooled a lot. Next time I'll put it in there when it's hot because it didn't want to dissolve. It was even worse than in plain cold water. I added the lye water to the oils while still on the warm setting, and then added the GM. After I stick blended everything together really well I turned up the crockpot to low. It needed to warm up some so it would gel.

When the soap rolled toward the center of the pot and got all the way to the center I gave it a stir, and then got a little on the finger of my glove and felt it for smoothness. It felt very smooth , so I zap tested it. No zap! (this is what Ruthie told me that I mentioned in my initial post).

Oops, I forgot to say that I used a 2 pound wooden loaf mold. It's a skinny one that makes the narrow bars. I didn't want to make a big batch in case it flopped and ended up in the trash.

It is actually lighter in color than it looks in the picture. I'm liking the Ginger Lime FO. My boys like it too. I smells nice without being too perfumy.

This recipe only has half GM in it and it's super creamy. I really need to make a 100% GM batch now.

Last edited:
lovely, creamy soapies! you did a great job! I usually add the sugar to the water, stir to dissolve completely and THEN add the lye...sooooo much easier!

Thanks for the tip about the sugar! When you do it that way do you have to add the lye extra slowly to make sure the sugar doesn't burn?

I usually soap at 33% water...i usually add 1 rounded tsp or so regular sugar...then I just add some lye, stir, add some more, stir...just like usual...I also use powdered sodium lactate which I also add with the sugar..2 level tsp ppo. I get this at lotioncrafter...saves $$$ on shipping and very convenient to use...helps makes soap harder and slows "shower melt."

Very pretty but I have to ask, why add the sugar? My first batch was all GM and I didn't use sugar, should I have?

The sugar is not necessary. Just adds a bit to the bubbles. I have not added it when I use goat's milk but may have to give it a try!

Skatergirl, it turned out lovely! Great job!

The batch with the sugar has nice bubbles. I can tell that it is bubblier than my other batches. I like the bubbles and I plan to add sugar to most of my batches.

I made a batch today with sugar also. This time I added it to the water and made sure it was dissolved completely before adding the lye.

Thanks Ruthie! It's not ready to use yet, but I can tell that I am going to have a love affair with GM soap! My kids love it too. I got the stink eye from my oldest son yesterday when I gave one of our neighbors a few bars. LOL!

Last edited:
I agree my 1st thought was this is cold process?? Really nice soap im so surprised its HPCP.GREAT JOB!!

Thanks! I just watched the temp carefully.

It looks so creamy! I've been wanting to smell the ginger lime FO. It sounds like it smells wonderful.

It's not super strong but I like it. Part of that creamy look might be the TD I added also. I wanted it to be white.

Latest posts

Back