I tried felting today!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried felting today! Room for improvement but overall I'm pleased with the results. I used salt bars I made in April. I wasn't sure how much they would shrink during the process since I lathered & worked them each for a full 30 minutes. They don't look like they lost too much size so that makes me happy.

On all the videos I watched, they used roving to felt soap, but I messed up and got batting. It seemed to work ok, but maybe it wouldn't take as long if I would have used roving? I did use roving for the colored pieces.

I purchased the wool on Etsy. I wasn't aware how light it was so I ended up with quite a bit. I guess everyone I know will be getting felted soap for Christmas this year! :nonono:

First felted soap - salt bar.jpg
Second felted soap - salt bar.jpg

Yes, cool right? My husband said if someone gave him one they would have to tell him what they were because he'd never guess it was soap. I figured it will be a good way to cover up some of my fugly soap.

Haha, good idea - and I've got quite a few fuglies I've made that can use a covering! I imagine the soap lasts quite a while like that as well.

How long did it take you to make a felted bar?

Haha, good idea - and I've got quite a few fuglies I've made that can use a covering! I imagine the soap lasts quite a while like that as well.

How long did it take you to make a felted bar?
I set the timer when I started the actual felting and I kept going for 30 minutes on each soap. Some of the videos recommended 15-25 so around the 15 minute mark I removed the bar from the knee-hi panty hose to check it out then put the pantyhose back on and did another 10. At that time, I removed the panty hose and continued to felt for another 5 minutes. By then it felt pretty tight so I stopped.
I also would put it in the cold water bowl about every 5 minutes to shock it. I used pretty hot water in the hot water bowl.
In this video she used a wash board which must speed up the process because it creates more friction. I did use a place mat that had a bumpy texture and alternated between rubbing the soap on that and in my hands. She didn't use the hot & cold water, but I did see it on one of the videos I watched, I just can't find it now :)

I'm looking forward to learning more about it and doing it again. Maybe tomorrow.

I tried felting today! Room for improvement but overall I'm pleased with the results. I used salt bars I made in April. I wasn't sure how much they would shrink during the process since I lathered & worked them each for a full 30 minutes. They don't look like they lost too much size so that makes me happy.

On all the videos I watched, they used roving to felt soap, but I messed up and got batting. It seemed to work ok, but maybe it wouldn't take as long if I would have used roving? I did use roving for the colored pieces.

I purchased the wool on Etsy. I wasn't aware how light it was so I ended up with quite a bit. I guess everyone I know will be getting felted soap for Christmas this year! :nonono:

View attachment 49053View attachment 49054
Gorgeous!!!

I think you will find that roving is the same as bats... bats are just sheets of felting wool and rovings are long tube things but they all wrap the same. well done, they look beautiful. I love felting soap.

@gardengeek thank you for sharing that video!! I didn't think I'd be interested in felting but after watching the video I know I will love it. Just playing with the soap and sudsing it up will be so relaxing, lol! Right up my alley. I ordered a small sample type pack of felting wool. Can't wait to try it 😁 Your soaps look great :thumbs:

Latest posts

Back