I thought I was getting a good deal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campbellsoap

Reaction score
I was in the Dollar Tree today and saw they had Olive Oil, 17 oz bottle for $1.00. I got like 7 bottles! When I got home and was unpacking I read closer. It's a mix of Soybean Oil and Olive Oil :x So how do I count this in the calculator? It doesn't say what the percentage of each oil it is and of course I guess it's more soybean because it's listed first in the ingridents.

So what do I do besides taking it back?

jackie

dollar tree

Never trust dollar tree without really looking at pkg. I got same yesterday with alchol olny 50% and meijer is 91%. there was a gal on earlier about calculator i bet they could help you good luck.

Use it for cooking and chalk it up to experience since there is no way of being able to accurately calculate the amount of lye you will need to use.

Hi, I have the answer you are seeking. :) I just checked my trusted SoapCalc.com ( http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp ) site and found the values of the 2 oils very, very close! Olive Oil has a saponification value of .135, while Soybean Oil has a saponification value of .136! This is a negligible difference. To be absolutely safe, use the lower value of the Olive Oil at .135 for this blend. It does not matter the percentages since the SAP values only differ .001! Do this with 100% confidence, your soap will be 100% safe! I guarantee it positively! :) :D

Paul.... :) :wink:

Thanks everyone!! You guys are so nice and helpful. I double checked the ingridents and it only list Soybean Oil and Extra Virgin Oil.

Paul, thanks for the info.

I love this soap making!!!!

jackie

Soapmaker Man said:
Hi, I have the answer you are seeking. :) I just checked my trusted SoapCalc.com ( http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp ) site and found the values of the 2 oils very, very close! Olive Oil has a saponification value of .135, while Soybean Oil has a saponification value of .136! This is a negligible difference. To be absolutely safe, use the lower value of the Olive Oil at .135 for this blend. It does not matter the percentages since the SAP values only differ .001! Do this with 100% confidence, your soap will be 100% safe! I guarantee it positively! :) :D

Paul.... :) :wink:

Yes, its just like Canola and Olive Oil.. SAPs are so close.. you can use them almost hand and hand.

Latest posts

Back