I think I messed this up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather McClain

Reaction score
I prepped 6 batches of soap 2 days ago. They have 20% coconut oil and 25% palm. My palm oil was fully melted and mixed when I used it. ALL of the other containers had solidified hard oils but this one and all were around 62°F. I was careful to make sure I put the correct oils in all the containers because my melted palm and castor oil look similar. Is there any reason this one wouldn’t have solidified oils, other than I put the wrong oil in?? I went ahead and used it to make a loaf just so it wasn’t wasted, but obviously I can’t sell it because I’m not sure what oils are actually in it. But it did make soap so once it’s cured I’ll try it and see if I can at least use it and/or give it to friends/family.
52CD4881-DF33-4CE5-89C7-602DE7B78E65.jpeg
B193D276-2D7B-46D5-A79B-0C44D18E8ED9.jpeg

I have no idea, except that the one container might have been setting in a warmer spot. The uncut soap looks nice.
The containers were all sitting together and all the same temp with my infrared thermometer.
I used an accelerating fragrance for the soap just in case to make sure it hardened up and was able to cut it several hours after I made it.

Is there any reason this one wouldn’t have solidified oils, other than I put the wrong oil in??

No. Even assuming that you are only using 45% Hard Oils, at 62F should be the consistency of pancake/waffle batter and opaque. My guess is that you lost track...it happens. It's the reason why I quit make multiple Master Batches and went with a single MB and even though I have it completely memorized, I still print out a new MB recipe each time, in order, check off each ingredient as I add it and put said ingredient away before adding the next one. It's a bit of a PITA as I keep my bulk ingredients in the garage, but I'm also MBing 40lbs of oils and given the cost the little bit of inconvenience is far cheaper than the headache of doing the math or tossing and starting over.

This soap hardened up, I cut it and it’s been curing almost 2 weeks. It looks like soap and acts like soap so I’m going to wrap it up and gift it and keep a couple of bars for myself.

I used to prep 6- 10 batches at a time in separate buckets. My method was to measure out one one and fill each bucket then move to the next starting with the solid oils first then I would melt each one, next I would measure and add the liquid oils. Each bucket of oils was put away after I measured them out so I would not question if I used a particular oil.

Back