I think I made cheese....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
It all started with that thread about yogurt in soaps. Sounded good. So I made some honey yogurt soap. I used my BB silicone mould for the 1st time (new toy) and as suggested, added sodium lactate to my recipe, which I've never bothered with before.

Well, I swear it feels exactly like cheap processed cheese. I didn't even make a nice cheddar. This is like generic black n gold processed cheese.

I used the sodium lactate at 2% and added to the lye solution when it was room temp. Anyone else ever had a cheesy experience? Is there a no yogurt/milk/sodium lactate combo rule? Does it get better? What does yogurt soap normal feel like at 1st?

Sorry, too many questions.

Lol at the title! Can we see pics? ;) How's the smell? I can only maybe help by saying that all my GM soaps I made in the big mold smelled like cheese, especially when they gelled. And even after 6 months cure they still smelled cheesy. Other family members didn't notice it but I think I might be some kind of super smeller :lol:. I liked how they feel on the skin, but just couldn't like them enough because of the cheesy whiff.
Oh and I can just ask where did you buy your BB sillicone mold and do you like it? I am thinking of getting one as I'm getting tired of old baking paper lining business.

LOL lucky for me they don't smell like cheese so far. They just have the exact texture of plastic processed cheese. I made these yesterday and also did some GM soaps. The GM soap didn't have sodium lactate in them and are still softish and non cheesy. I've never made either yogurt soaps or soaps with sodium lactate in so not sure of the culprit. Anyway, pic as requested. You can see the soap sitting there pretending to be all cool and cheesy and see how a thin slice bends after just one day. Freaky.

Oh and got the moulds at Aussie Soap Supplies and love them already. Felt real good not lining the thing :lol:.

cheeeeeeese.jpg

Lol they sure do! :) If you had luck with milk before it could be sodium lactate. I've never used it so I'm no help. I hope they'll be fine after few days.
Thank you for the info. I should start saving for new molds. ;)

Maybe it was too much SL, 2% should be fine but too much can make soap softer instead of firmer. I have down that I want to stick to 1% SL.

I've only made yogurt soap twice but no issues and definitely no processed cheese result lol. My first yogurt soap is nice and rock hard, and firmed up quickly.

Ok, well according to soaping 101 the ranges are between 1 and 3%, with 1% to harden a recipe and 3% to SOFTEN the recipe. So yea, I'm thinking its probably the SL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFI4WlM85SI

Rubber soap is weird. Silver lining - if I drop it in the shower I won't have to bend down to pick it up. The sucker will just bounce right back up.
LOL. Quick, patent it! Bouncing soap. Forget that old fashioned floating soap, your soap BOUNCES.

Derpina, your posts always LOL me :D which bb sili mold were ya talkin about? The white-clear one with the thick sides?
Anyway, with sl, yea 1% is plenty me thinks. I am using 1 tsp ppo and i found it sufficient (2 tsp for rare cases).

Derpina, your posts always LOL me :D which bb sili mold were ya talkin about? The white-clear one with the thick sides?
Anyway, with sl, yea 1% is plenty me thinks. I am using 1 tsp ppo and i found it sufficient (2 tsp for rare cases).

The white/clear one with the thick sides yep :thumbup:. I also got 2 of those heart ones to play with *does happy dance*. I'll switch to 1% for sure. The cheese is freaking me out.

*Lin - I can just imagine the sales pitch for bouncing cheese soap lol

Argghhh lol I read to use between 1% to 3% so I did exactly that. 2%! I have no imagination. 1% does sound ample now. Rubber soap is weird. Silver lining - if I drop it in the shower I won't have to bend down to pick it up. The sucker will just bounce right back up.

You might have only used 2% SL but using any milk products will create more SL in your soap. If you want to harden milk soap, try 1-2 tsp salt PPO instead.

i read somewhere here that lactic acid in yogurt combined with sodium hydroxide makes sodium lactate. which means you likely made more SL than the 2% you put in...hence the cheese. maybe you can make some bread looking soap and sell some grilled cheese soaps???

Latest posts

Back