I think I made a boo boo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello

So I thought I was being clever making some solid dishsoap last night. I used 95% coconut oil and 5% castor oil. I added sugar to my water before the lye because I find it makes a nice lather. I then plugged it into the soap calc and it wasn't until today I realized I had it at 5% superfat.

Is it possible to still use this as a dishsoap? or will the superfat coat my dishes with grease. I think I should have taken out the SF.

I will be giving this away to my family so I'm not overly concerned about it being crappy but I don't want to give them a slice of this soap if it should be used in the shower instead.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I'm more concerned about what a 95% coconut oil soap will do to your hands if you don't wear gloves while washing up. The 5% SF is probably a good thing in this instance.

A better choice for a hard bar for dish soap would be one with a balanced formula like this one:

BASIC TRINITY OF OILS

I made a batch this past week, 5% SF, subbing lard for the palm, and was blown away by the long-lasting dense lather while washing up after soaping. I left the soapy water in the sink for a couple of days and continued to wash dishes with it daily. They rinsed squeaky clean with cool water. :thumbs:

I'm more concerned about what a 95% coconut oil soap will do to your hands if you don't wear gloves while washing up. The 5% SF is probably a good thing in this instance.

A better choice for a hard bar for dish soap would be one with a balanced formula like this one:

BASIC TRINITY OF OILS

I made a batch this past week, 5% SF, subbing lard for the palm, and was blown away by the long-lasting dense lather while washing up after soaping. I left the soapy water in the sink for a couple of days and continued to wash dishes with it daily. They rinsed squeaky clean with cool water. :thumbs:

Thank you for you help. I am sure the coconut oil will be drying. So probably a good thing I did a small batch LOL.

Thank you for you help. I am sure the coconut oil will be drying. So probably a good thing I did a small batch LOL.
You're welcome.
You never know how it will turn out. Different strokes for different folks, yes? It may be just fine. In any case, hang onto it and lather up with it every week or so after the 4-6 week cure to see if it mellows out for you. I know one soaper who made 100% Coconut Oil bars at 20% SF. She allowed it to cure for a year! :eek: She said it cured her son's acne.

Latest posts

Back