I think humidity got me...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
Made a batch last night and just checked it and it is still soft. It has been 12 hours and the recipe I used is usually ready to unmold. I guess I have to wait and see. We did have high humidity last night, that is the only thing I can think of. And it is very humid again today.

Sonja

Sonja, maybe you should just go with the flow and make Palmetto bug soap. You know, when fate hands you lemons, make lemonade. ;) ;) ;)

I'm sorry you are having climate problems. Are your molds curing indoors and do you have your air conditioning or dehumidifier going? I think that soap is probably happiest in environments where humans are comfortable, in moderate temperature and humidity.

Here in Los Angeles our humidity ranges from middle range or slightly dry to very dry, and temperature from mild to hot. I think curing soap is probably happier here with the drier and warmer climate than it is with colder or more humid climates.

I have to admit that Florida and the Caribbean are certainly a different world and you realize it when that wall of humidity hits you. Outdoors and wearing light clothing or a swim suit, and in the breeze, actually I just love the climate, but it must be the pits when you have to dress up or when you are caught in stagnant air. Or make soap...

It would be nice to be swinging in a hammock next to a swimming pool and sipping a piña colada. :)

Yep inside with a/c going. It is in my trusty round pvc mold. It is still to soft to get it out yet. It has only been 12 hours, so I think I will wait and see what happens. I know it is a good recipe because I used it before. May be I did not hold my tongue right when mixing :) or may be the dreaded soap fairies are at my house :cry:

Sonja

Well I'm not so sure about the humidity affecting the soap inside a plastic pipe. I presume the bottom is covered so the only part of the soap exposed to the humidity is the top surface, and I doubt that could have much effect. Perhaps you should discount your water a bit.

Yep, that's what we call post card Fl :D But in the real world of Fl. you take one foot out the door and you are sweating your butt off, sometimes it is so humid you are fighting the mold in your house, even with the a/c. As far as pools go there are nice when you first get one, but then the up keep kicks in and the newness wears off real quick. Get the water just right, then it rains and the water is green the next day, add more chems to fix that for a day and then it rains again. But the pinas and hammocks I could go for :D

Sonja

I'm recalling my own experience in Florida as a vacationer, which is obviously not a year round experience. I thought the air felt nice but I've never been there in a heat wave which must be quite a lot like taking a shower except the water comes through your pores instead of from the shower head. Yuck!

I've often thought a swimming pool would be nice, but every time I think that I also consider the expense of maintaining it (to say nothing of the labor to clean it) and I've decided it's better to cultivate friends with pools and then bring along food or wine or something to share with them. Unfortunately my present coterie of pool owning friends is a big fat zero. :(

Well I've been swimming since I was about 10 years old, so I doubt I'll forget how anytime soon. :)

Latest posts

Back