I think coconut milk powder turned my soap pink?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibbian

Reaction score
Edit: Photo added... it's hard to see when the soap is dry though. I REALLY noticed it when I was using the soap in the shower—the inside had definitely morphed pink.

I recently made a plain white soap with coconut milk powder and poppy seeds. It's been curing a couple of months, and I notice that the inside of the bars are slowly turning a peachy pink. Has anyone run into this before? The coconut milk powder has tapioca maltodextrin and gum acacia as additives. Could these be the culprit? Does anyone know if this poses a safety concern? I used a bar without any weird effects.

Otherwise, the recipe was my regular base/process, which normally produces a very white bar of soap.

30% Olive Oil
25% Coconut Oil
25% Palm Oil
15% Avocado Oil
5% Castor Oil
35% Lye concentration w/ distilled water
Citrus Essential Oil blend (orange 10x, grapefruit, lemon, distilled lime, and litsea cubeba)

Attachments

• 175533912_3911732388915161_7874348793867172075_n.jpg
    175533912_3911732388915161_7874348793867172075_n.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hmmm. Lovely soap. And yes, "weird"! At first I thought "partial gel" but the shape is too irregular for that. My best guess is the Citrus EO blend is morphing... :smallshrug:

Hmmm. Lovely soap. And yes, "weird"! At first I thought "partial gel" but the shape is too irregular for that. My best guess is the Citrus EO blend is morphing... :smallshrug:

Thank you! It's nice to use too, so I really have nothing to complain about. It's just so weird. I definitely got a full gel on this one, so I don't think it's that. Maybe it's just an EO thing! This was a new blend for me... :smallshrug: , indeed! Thanks for weighing in, regardless.

Thank you! It's nice to use too, so I really have nothing to complain about. It's just so weird. I definitely got a full gel on this one, so I don't think it's that. Maybe it's just an EO thing! This was a new blend for me... :smallshrug: , indeed! Thanks for weighing in, regardless.
This is pretty neat. I want to make a light pink for the ladies in the house. Kinda hope it sticks for you, free color!

Check this out. There's a weed called Yellow Dock that's found just about everywhere in the USA. Once the roots are infused, it makes

RASPBERRY PINK SOAP - YELLOW DOCK

I don't have access to the weed so I buy herbs & spices online here:

https://www.herbco.com/c-2-bulk-herbs-spices.aspx
Wow, I'm going to have to go looking for that weed. I love the way this writer writes. I read that shaving soap entry and wasn't even disappointed when it turns out that she had lost the recipe!

Edit: Photo added... it's hard to see when the soap is dry though. I REALLY noticed it when I was using the soap in the shower—the inside had definitely morphed pink.

I recently made a plain white soap with coconut milk powder and poppy seeds. It's been curing a couple of months, and I notice that the inside of the bars are slowly turning a peachy pink. Has anyone run into this before? The coconut milk powder has tapioca maltodextrin and gum acacia as additives. Could these be the culprit? Does anyone know if this poses a safety concern? I used a bar without any weird effects.

Otherwise, the recipe was my regular base/process, which normally produces a very white bar of soap.

30% Olive Oil
25% Coconut Oil
25% Palm Oil
15% Avocado Oil
5% Castor Oil
35% Lye concentration w/ distilled water
Citrus Essential Oil blend (orange 10x, grapefruit, lemon, distilled lime, and litsea cubeba)
Could it be avocado oil ?

I've used coconut milk powder in several soaps and none have ever turned pink. Curious...

I have had a similar thing happen and I think it was because I soaped too hot. I soap hot anyway 42*C or 110*F but I think it was a little hotter that time.
It was an indigo soap but it had white chips and the white chips turned, and stayed deep pink. I don't think it is a consistent thing.

I'd be interested to know how hot you soaped.

I've had pinkish spots every now and then (see e. g. here), most often in recipes that contained cottonseed oil – but for that reason also ROE, that discolours in weird ways (yellow, reddish-brown, olive green, turquoise, grey…). Happened also in recipes without any coconut products at all. Good news: the spots were totally gone after a few days.

Latest posts

Back