I swear

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do solomnly swear that I will never go out and buy cheapy wally world 100% virgin OO to make soap because I couldn't wait for my Pomace OO from soapers choice. Took forever to trace and I am not happy with how my finished product looks. They are usable at home but that is about it. Never again......I swear!

I am sorry you are having problems with virgin olive oil. :(

The thing is, if you go even cheaper and get grade A or pure olive oil, it will trace faster than virgin. Not sure where you live, for future reference, some of the grocery stores actually have pomace in case you need a soaping fix in the middle of the night but are out of oils. :)

SO there I was at 2 am at the superwallyworld....sweat pouring down my face and my hands all shakey because I just needed to get some OO! I cannot soap without it!

I just cannot seem to make my soap icing with it. It just takes too long to trace and thicken. Now after 24 hours it is solid. Passes the lick test (lol just love having to lick my soaps and see if I am going to get a shock). But I like doing the frosting with the decorating tips and this just isn't working for me. I usually make my "cake" bases on one day and then frost them after 24 hours. I don't want to wait too long because I want my CP soap frosting to stick to the "cake" base and once hardened won't separate from it.

Soap making is quite a commitment. I have taken over most of the closets with racks of curing soaps. I have commandeered many kitchen utencils just for my soap making process. Now they will no longer be used for cooking food, just soap. All the clothing that is smashed to either side of my closets do smell wonderful, not to mention the towels and other normal closet items. I started making soap because it looked like something fun to do in my spare time. Now I live to create soap cakes...lol! Is this a mental disorder???????

I used a silicone bundt cake pan. I did leave the soap in the mold for 2 days instead of just the normal 24 hours. That way the soap was easier to get out of the mold. I also have the silicone cake layer pans for making the 2 layer cakes.

Coffee Cocoa Soap 008.JPG

****, that's not good news. I have this amazing Williams Sonoma bundt cake pan, but of course it's metal and pretty unwieldy.

Sorry, I think wally world carries the silicone bundt pans. I got mine from amazon. The little brown flecks in the bundt soap is ground up coffee beans. I ground them up extra fine. I figure this soap will be good for getting rid of onion and garlic smells from cooking or cleaning off dirt from working outside in the garden.

My next batch of soap I will be starting on my Valentines soaps. I will be working on my knitting and sewing until my order of oils comes in from soapers choice. Oh how I hate to wait. :(

2lilboots said:
SO there I was at 2 am at the superwallyworld....sweat pouring down my face and my hands all shakey because I just needed to get some OO!

You are seriously addicted. :lol:

But I understand why because all of your soap is beautiful...and I'm extremely hungry now.

Yes I let all my soaps reach gel. I pack them in a cardboard box and cover up with towels and blankies. The layer cake is wrapped up snug as a bug in a rug as I type.

Oh and I don't know what thread I read it in or who posted it, but I would like to say a big thank you to whomever posted about Natures Garden FO. I have been getting my FO from essiential depot and even though I get my shipment within 2 days they don't have a big selection of scents. Natures Garden on the other hand has so many different fragrances, plus they are running a special on their larger bottles. If you buy 5 you get a buck off each bottle.

If you are talking about Walmart's own brand of olive oil in virgin or light or extra light, it was deemed awhile back to be one of the few olive oils out there that was pure and not faked with partly canola or had green dye added. I prefer it. Some 69% of olive oil brands were taken to task for not being pure.

Here is an article on the subject: http://www.dailyfinance.com/2010/07/15/ ... eaper-mix/

:shock: Wow! Those are absolutely stunning! I'm not only in awe, I'm inspired as well. Time to redo my soap order to include soap cake making FOs & stuff! :D

I have a lot of fun with it. I want to make some small roses for decorations when I make my next batch of soaps. That way in the future I can put them on top my cakes. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on how to pipe frosting. I would like to get better at decorating my soaps. I never used decorating tips for decorating my kids birthday cakes, wow did I miss out. I absolutely love it. I also found you don't even need to buy the frosting bags, just use a ziplock bag and cut a small hole in the bottom corner for your decorating tip to go through. It makes cleanup so much easier. I would like to get a cake frosting turn-table so that it would be easier to frost around the whole cake instead of stopping and turning my cardboard papercovered base.....lol!

I found those silicone cupcake liners and they are great. I pour the normal size cupcake base, by the time the rest of the soap is ready to pipe the base has hardened enough to hold the frosting on top. The first batch I did I poured my bases the first day and waited til the next day to do the tops. I like being able to do them all in one shot.

I am sure that Walmart's 100% Virgin OO is just fine. It just didn't work up the same with my last 3 batches of soap, so I had to alter my time frame. Not a big problem, but I don't think I want to fool with it in the future.

I sliced up my Orange Mango Spice 2 Layer Soap and this is how it looks. I am making notes to myself that I shouldn't put tall decorations in the center of this type of cake as when cut it wants to come off as the piece is so narrow.

Sliced 2 Layer cake 001.JPG

I really like the way the cake turned out, the scent is just awesome. I like how the cake layer colors swirled just slightly. I will change my decorating style for the tops of the cake so not to lose the decoration in the center. Maybe I will just leave the center of the cake plain and just decorate the edges. I was worried about sprinkling the cinnamon and allspice on the top of the cake, but I think it turned out rather nice since it spread out through the soap.

Sliced 2 Layer cake 004.JPG

I had cooked a chicken the other day in my crockpot and when I took it out of the fridge last night to pick the meat off the bones I was just staring at the chicken fat that was on the top of the broth.....wondering "can I make soap with that?" OMG! No I didn't save it.

Latest posts

Back