I survived making my 1st beer soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derpina Bubbles

Reaction score
Seriously, I had that beer in the fridge going flat for a couple of weeks or so. Followed all the wonderful advice received on here (thanks again to you all), and it worked a treat. No disgusting stink out of the house, no volcano and I realised half way through that the Mission Impossible theme I had playing in the background was unnecessary so switched it off.

It's not fancy, but it smells good. Added vanilla to it just in case it was funky. I'm wondering just how dark it'll end up.

Guinness soaps.jpg

Thanks, bit bummed out by the amount of soda ash though. Seems to be getting worse.

ash attack.jpg

I love them! Both colours look great. Re: soda ash, have you tried to spritz with alcohol? It works for me most of the time, but sometimes, nothing helps unfortunately.

Awesome soaps, Derpina! I am jealous coz your pencil line is waaaayyy cooler than mine. May i ask what color mica that you used?

Awesome soaps, Derpina! I am jealous coz your pencil line is waaaayyy cooler than mine. May i ask what color mica that you used?

Ha! I can dream. I'm still drooling over that OMH soap you made. The mica I used is New Gold Mica. It's a bit too thin of a line but I get chicken the top won't stick if I put too much of a line in. Does that even happen or am I worried for no reason?

I love them! Both colours look great. Re: soda ash, have you tried to spritz with alcohol? It works for me most of the time, but sometimes, nothing helps unfortunately.

I didn't spritz this batch, but wish I did. I keep forgetting to use it. Does it work after the fact or has that horse bolted?

I don't think it works afterwards. :( You can try and steam the tops free of ash, there are guides online. I've never done it but apparently it can help reduce ash if it's done properly.

I forgot to add, I think appereance of ash depends on the FO used. I had some really bad ash with this particular vanilla FO. I made some soap with it yesterday and forgot the alcohol. Ash is shocking, it's at least 2-3 mm thick. I'm thinking of cutting the soap tops off, that's how bad they look. :problem:

How cool loking soap is this :) I love it! Dark beer with a foam on top! Awesome¨!

I do it after the fact and it works.

Oh sweet! I haven't tried to fix these yet so I'll give that a go, thanks very much. I've been getting ash just on my white/natural tops for some reason lately. Driving my crazy. Crazier.

It's gorgeous, Derpina, congrats!!!! And after-the-fact spritzing with alcohol surely ain't gonna hurt anything, so definitely worth a a try. You go girl! Have been admiring your cool embeds, and now this!

Back