I saw something...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwystedPryncess

Reaction score
First, I hope I posted this is the right forum.

We have a lady here in town that has a handmade soap shop. Of course, I had to go take a peek. While my daughter and I were in there, we noticed that she had customer testimonials printed up or written out on pretty decorated pieces of paper next to some of the displays.

The testimonials were displayed to be as from customers who felt that her soap did this or that for their skin conditions - eczema, psoriasis, etc. Unfortunately I can't remember the details and didn't think to get a screenshot, but the testimonials were pretty vivid in saying how well the soap helped these conditions.

I basically guess that I am asking if this is a legal way for her to advertise that a certain soap is supposed to help with one condition or another. I was a little shocked by it. Honestly in my opinion it didn't feel right, but we know how opinions are.

She was also a Young Living essential oils agent, which I found a little odd, because ...well, because.

Thanks for any input. Yes, I know I can read books and find the answers, but I really just like to hear what others have to say about this stuff sometimes!

Testimonials are not a legit way to inform consumers about drug claims. People try to "weasel word" their way around the rules with tactics like this, but a seller simply can't make ANY drug claims about her products unless the claims can be proven. Not on signs, not in product literature, not by word of mouth, not on the product packaging, not on a website. Just not.

I can't speak to the legality of it - DeeAnna is probably right - but to me, ethically it is different than making a medical claim yourself. Customers are not informed about those kinds of rules b/c it's not their job - and the customer is honestly sharing their experience.

So, for me personally, I might report a soap that claimed to cure eczema, but not a customer testimonial.

My understanding as well, DeeAnna and IrishLass. In fact that link from IrishLass says it all, IMO. Even if the soapmaker was not putting the testimonials on her soap labels, she was still prominently displaying them with the soap, which IS advertising. Therefore she is representing her products as capable of doing whatever the customer wrote. If she had simple put them away in a folder at home, or tossed them in the trash she would not be, but in this case she was responsible for false advertising.

Thank you everyone. I had figured I was not the only one in my thinking, but I like to just hear it. I've only been at this a couple years now, which is still noob status compared to many of you.

And yeah, the whole being a soaper and being a YL essential oils pusher was a shocker. It was everything I could do not to go on my own soaper tangent. Personally, if I ever sold, I don't care how much extra money that stuff brings in, I couldn't do that to people. I'd prefer to have quality return customers than constantly have to work work work to get new ones I'm running off.

On an aside, when I was serving a very extremely buffet shift last week, I had a lady and her two year old son come in to eat. She only wanted one drink, stating he would just share hers, complained that he didn't eat enough to have to pay for a child's meal, and then stated that she was sorry that she didn't have enough money for a tip. But--here's the kicker-- here was her Young Living business card- give her a call!

Not only did she piss off the server in me, she really pissed off the soaper in me. And her kid left a righteous mess. Just ugh.

Re: the buffet, I empathize with you totally! If I don't have enough money for a tip I don't go to a restaurant! Or if I only have a limited amount of money, I order something less expensive so I can leave a reasonable tip at least. It's just horrible that people don't get it that the server's hourly wage without tips to make up the difference means that server can't earn enough to pay the rent! It's sad, really. My FIL, may he rest in peace, was of the generation that held onto the notion that one or two dollars was sufficient tip no matter what size the check. It was embarrassing. We used to have to sneak a tip on the table after he got up to leave and sometimes he'd catch us and get upset with us for wasting money. He just didn't get it.

(I know it's not like this in all other countries but in the US, restaurant workers rely on tips to survive.)

Thank you everyone. I had figured I was not the only one in my thinking, but I like to just hear it. I've only been at this a couple years now, which is still noob status compared to many of you.

And yeah, the whole being a soaper and being a YL essential oils pusher was a shocker.

You know, my daddy always told me that if it does not feel right, it isn't right, walk away. Your instincts were spot on.

I love what you said there about the YL "pusher". It perfectly describes them.

Back