Quantcast

I read Tea Tree causes acceleration... How bad?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Jamison

Reaction score
I make double-batches and pour into two molds. I pour into the first mold at light trace due to the extra time that's needed to get that all situation before I pour the second mold.

Do you see this as a problem since it'll take some time before I can pour?

I previously have had issue with a patchouli blend (there was cinnamon leaf extract in the blend) and not wanting to have that issue again.

I now soap at around room temperature (I mix the sodium hydroxide the night before) and mix the essential oils into the veg oils before I pour the lye in.

Thanks.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I routinely use tea tree blended with lavender 50/50 at 2% (each EO) oil weight. I've never had a problem with acceleration. When I want to try a new swirl technique, this is what I use to scent the batch. Often times I end up waiting for trace to move along so I can finish the tops.

Jamison

Reaction score
I routinely use tea tree blended with lavender 50/50 at 2% (each EO) oil weight. I've never had a problem with acceleration. When I want to try a new swirl technique, this is what I use to scent the batch. Often times I end up waiting for trace to move along so I can finish the tops.
It's been a while since I wrote my recipe... Is that 2% of the total batch yield or just the veg oil weight?

Looks like I'm using around 4% of the oil weight. Around 2.5% of the total batch yield.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I wrote my recipe... Is that 2% of the total batch yield or just the veg oil weight?

Looks like I'm using around 4% of the oil weight. Around 2.5% of the total batch yield.
It's 2% each EO, 4% total, of the oils only. Looks like your useage rate is the same as mine. :)

Jamison

Reaction score
It's 2% each EO, 4% total, of the oils only. Looks like your useage rate is the same as mine. :)
I recall looking for all the sources I could that stated how much EO to use. I averaged them.

Lavender and tea tree, huh? That seems like an interesting combo.

I thought about mixing it with eucalyptus, but I'm not really a fan of eucalyptus. Reminds me of medicine. Although tea tree reminds people of medicine too. I absolutely love tea tree though. It's such a unique scent.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree mixing it with eucalyptus might put it over the top into medicine-y land. When I blend it with lavender it has that same note to it but mellows and blends well with cure. I didn't like it when I first made it but 6 weeks later I did. :)

SuzieOz

Reaction score
I love Tea tree and Lavender ... also Tea Tree and Peppermint is lovely too.

I do recall that when I made a shampoo bar with Tea tree it got thick very fast - so fast that I had to force it into the mould and it was quite an ugly bar. I honestly can't remember about regular soap though, it's been a while since I used it.

Jamison

Reaction score
I love Tea tree and Lavender ... also Tea Tree and Peppermint is lovely too.

I do recall that when I made a shampoo bar with Tea tree it got thick very fast - so fast that I had to force it into the mould and it was quite an ugly bar. I honestly can't remember about regular soap though, it's been a while since I used it.
What's the difference with a shampoo bar?

Was there peppermint in the shampoo bar? That will accelerate it.

Last edited:

SuzieOz

Reaction score
What's the difference with a shampoo bar?

Was there peppermint in the shampoo bar? That will accelerate it.
Actually I just remembered, I made a regular soap bar using Tea tree also and it got thick fast so I'd be careful if I were you just in case.

The shampoo bar recipe I used at the time wasn't a particularly good one actually, pretty much like regular soap anyway, just with more castor oil and quite a lot of coconut. I've since learned it's a terrible recipe for hair ;) Anyway, no it didn't have any other fragrance other than the Tea tree FO. This is what it looked like:

2015-12-07 001.jpg

2015-12-08 002.jpg

melinda48

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps someone can help me with this recipe then. Our son’s favorite soap is a lavender/tea tree/peppermint bar. The problem is that it always sets up way too fast. Most recently, I began using a recipe with sunflower oil in an attempt to slow things down. I also mix 1/3 with the lavender, 1/3 with the peppermint, and 1/3 with the tea tree hoping to slow things down. I pour the lavender first, then the peppermint, and then the tea tree. It still thickens up way way too fast. Obviously, I need a better eye than my own to look at my recipe and help me figure out where I am going wrong.

11.41 oz. (323.36g) Coconut Oil
11.08 oz. (314.19g) Olive Oil
6.31 oz. (178.88g) Sunflower Oil
.96 oz. (27.23g) Castor Oil
2.24 oz. (63.53g) Stearic Acid
1 Tbsp. Simple Syrup added to oils
7.8 oz. (221.14g) Distilled water
4.59 oz. (130.08g) Lye
1 tsp. Sodium Lactate
Tussah Silk
1 tsp. Sodium Lactate
1.75 Tbsp. Titanium Dioxide
1 tsp. Lapis Blue mica (Mad Micas)
.5 oz. Lavender EO, .3 oz. Tea Tree EO, .3 oz. Peppermint EO

I would appreciate any input at all! Thank you.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps someone can help me with this recipe then. Our son’s favorite soap is a lavender/tea tree/peppermint bar. The problem is that it always sets up way too fast. Most recently, I began using a recipe with sunflower oil in an attempt to slow things down. I also mix 1/3 with the lavender, 1/3 with the peppermint, and 1/3 with the tea tree hoping to slow things down. I pour the lavender first, then the peppermint, and then the tea tree. It still thickens up way way too fast. Obviously, I need a better eye than my own to look at my recipe and help me figure out where I am going wrong.
This is an old post, so you will probably get more/better responses if you start a new thread. If you are making CP, I would say it's the steric acid. I don't make HP or shaving soap, so if that is what you are doing, I don't have any advice for you.

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I agree it’s the stearic. I make a tea tree, peppermint, lavender charcoal soap with no issue and plenty of time to work.

Latest posts