I needed a hobby for the winter months

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kchaystack

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I got the idea to make my own soap. I had a discussion with my SO about SLS and doing my own research on the net. Then I saw what stores were charging for their bars. I had made soap years ago in my university chemistry class (we used nutmeg oil we extracted in a previous class), and thought, I could make this.

So several weeks of watching youtube and reading various sites and I took the plunge! I am planning on making videos of what I make, not for teaching others, but to document my process. Wearing gloves and such make it a nightmare to take notes during the process.

So here is the first video. It is a simple soap - no scents or colors, but it turned out pretty well.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN06pEUXMgo[/ame]

I am also building my own wooden loaf mold. I will post pictures of that once I finish it.

Congratulations on your first soap and welcome to the forum! It's a really fun hobby with all the things you can constantly tweak and change.

On your video, you mentioned using peppermint essential oil to scent, please be aware that some folks experience very unpleasant reactions to peppermint on particularly sensitive areas. You'll probably want to check safe usage amounts for that EO.

Good job!

Now, let's talk about that measuring cup you mixed the lye and water in...did it have a 2 or a 5 in the little triangle on the bottom? It looks like one I melted into oblivion(and lye water all over the kitchen) on my 2nd or 3rd batch of soap.

If you are going to be continuing to make small batches, it might be a good idea to go to a hardware store and get some of the plastic paint buckets. They have a wide variety of sizes, and are taller than they are wide, so it is easier to use a stick blender. They can also be used for mixing lye and water.

Thanks!

The peppermint oil will be just for me! ;) I am currently using Dr. B's peppermint soap and love it, and have used a peppermint - tea tree soap made by a local guy who sells at my favorite farmers market. So I know I like it. But good point, and I will make sure to research the amounts.

I have a friend that requested a sandalwood or vanilla scent. I know the issue about vanilla darkening the bar. I have not looked for sandalwood oils yet, but I seem to remember it being pretty pricey.

Congratulations on your first soap and welcome to the forum! It's a really fun hobby with all the things you can constantly tweak and change.

On your video, you mentioned using peppermint essential oil to scent, please be aware that some folks experience very unpleasant reactions to peppermint on particularly sensitive areas. You'll probably want to check safe usage amounts for that EO.

I don't remember looking at what kind of plastic it was. I actually plan to get a pyrex measuring cup for lye. I just wanted to get an idea for what volumes I needed. I will check and adjust for the next batch.

I need to drop by a Home Depot tonight and get some stuff to finish my box mold, so I will look at the paint buckets also. I figure I will do mostly small batches for now until I know how bad this bug is going to take hold!

I want to try the soaping101 idea with a plastic cutting board and a round mold to make a yin-yag puck...

Good job!

Now, let's talk about that measuring cup you mixed the lye and water in...did it have a 2 or a 5 in the little triangle on the bottom? It looks like one I melted into oblivion(and lye water all over the kitchen) on my 2nd or 3rd batch of soap.

If you are going to be continuing to make small batches, it might be a good idea to go to a hardware store and get some of the plastic paint buckets. They have a wide variety of sizes, and are taller than they are wide, so it is easier to use a stick blender. They can also be used for mixing lye and water.

Vanillin does darken soap (and you'd be surprised by the fragrance oils that you'd never expect that have vanillin in them). If you buy from a reputable soap supply company, they will list the amount of vanillin in each FO. Sandalwood EO can be very pricey; however, you can find Sandalwood FOs much easier on the budget if you're not adverse to using FOs. Stay away from craft stores, ebay and health food stores for EOs/FOs. They are either poor quality or stupidly expensive (or both)!

I second what Susie said about checking your plastics for the 2 or 5. I also use the plastic painters buckets. I think I paid a under a dollar for most of mine from Home Depot. I picked up a really big bucket with lid that I chunk all of my spoons and little buckets into - then wash them then next day when it's just soap I need to clean up.

Huh. Looking at some data seems like all those years in my chemistry classes we were doing it wrong! We used pyrex for NaOH solutions all the time! So noted. I will find a good resistant plastic for the future.

Just saw your post, please DO NOT use pyrex. It can etch over time and shatter on you. Plastic. you want plastic or stainless steel only.

Huh. Looking at some data seems like all those years in my chemistry classes we were doing it wrong! We used pyrex for NaOH solutions all the time! So noted. I will find a good resistant plastic for the future.

I have heard that true chem-lab glass is much better than pyrex as far as holding up to lye. They changed the recipe for pyrex and it will etch now. Also you can break it if you are as clumsy as I am.

You can make a nice hand and body lotion like I did it's rosehip cream ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421718953.827193.jpg

That looks lovely Biarine, I am hoping to learn how to make lotions soon so will be asking you lots of questions

Those paint buckets(or plastic bowls from the dollar stores) with a 2 or a 5 on the bottom are safe for NaOH and water. Better safe than sorry, and they are cheap enough.

And I recall using Pyrex beakers and such in chemistry class also(many long years ago), but this is not that Pyrex.

I don't want you to think we are telling you are doing this wrong. We are trying to help you buy the correct equipment on the front end so you don't end up with dangerous messes later. We learned the hard way, there is no reason you should have to learn the hard way also. The best part of this is that what we are telling you to buy is much cheaper than what you were going to buy.

Last edited:
Today's pyrex isn't like what they used to make. I recently inherited some that was probably made in the 1960s and assume it was heavily used for roughly 30 years. I have a measuring cup from starting up my house in the late 1990s that has been used almost everyday. I have a measuring cup bought last year.

Other than the name, you'd never guess that they are supposed to be the same material. 1960s looks new and is lighter than it looks. No scratches - still shiny. 1990 looks a little beat up - some scuff marks from where its been dropped and moved all over the country. The cup I bought last year and have used just for measuring and cooking - cloudy with visible scratches from stirring. Honestly, it looks just like regular glass...

I think the company has changed their manufacturing process and location over the years. It shows. I won't spend the extra money now on it...

/end digression

+Biarine, I have looked at a couple of lotion making demos, and right now, that is far to much effort for me! Maybe some day...

I got a couple of the mixing buckets at Home Depot yesterday. A 1 qt for mixing lye and a 2.5 qt for small batches.

So, I researched some info about Pyrex, and yes they started using soda lime glass sometime in the late 90's when Corning sold it to a new company. Soda lime glass is much cheaper and while the company claims it's tempered glass is just as resistant to thermal shock as the old glass. But I think we have empirical evidence that is not the case. Sigh, another thing from my youth gone. :thumbdown:

New Video

Please excuse the hot mess of camera work and inept public speaking! :D

I am a decent photographer so all the focusing and framing issues really bug me. But of course it is too late to fix them by the time I am watching myself (shudder). I have to figure out a better way. LOL

http://youtu.be/VMrsgINzJmk

Latest posts

Back